* [OT] nobody (none)
@ 2018-03-26 18:35 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2018-03-26 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

Hello,

An off topic problem.  I'm asking here because I noticed this problem
first in this list, but it has spread.

I read e-mail using gnus (v5.13) in emacs (25.3.1) on FreeBSD (10.3).
Some months ago I noticed some messages in this list displaying with
sender 'nobody' and subject '(none)' in gnus.  As the months have passed
the number of such messages has increased many-fold and spread to other
lists.  On opening the offending e-mail it is usual that the message has
both sender and subject fields with plausible contents.  Often, but not
exclusively, the 'nobody' messages originate from gmail accounts.

I have not changed any settings at my end so I assume some commonly used
component of the chain of email applications has changed settings and
that I need to respond to that change.  But where? and what?

Any hints on where to look would be most helpful.

Again, sorry for the OT message.

Roger

* Re: [OT] nobody (none)
@ 2018-03-26 20:53 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2018-03-26 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: Org-Mode

This would appear to be gnus specific. I use mu4e and have not noticed
anything along these lines. Suggest a gnus specific list might be the
go.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: [OT] nobody (none)
@ 2018-03-27  5:54 ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2018-03-27  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> An off topic problem.  I'm asking here because I noticed this problem
> first in this list, but it has spread.
>
> I read e-mail using gnus (v5.13) in emacs (25.3.1) on FreeBSD (10.3).
> Some months ago I noticed some messages in this list displaying with
> sender 'nobody' and subject '(none)' in gnus.  As the months have passed
> the number of such messages has increased many-fold and spread to other
> lists.  On opening the offending e-mail it is usual that the message has
> both sender and subject fields with plausible contents.  Often, but not
> exclusively, the 'nobody' messages originate from gmail accounts.
>
> I have not changed any settings at my end so I assume some commonly used
> component of the chain of email applications has changed settings and
> that I need to respond to that change.  But where? and what?
>
> Any hints on where to look would be most helpful.
>
> Again, sorry for the OT message.

I use Gnus 5.13 and Emacs 25.1.1 with Debian 9.4 and I haven't noticed
this problem.

Have you set gnus-summary-line-format to anything unusual?

Cheers,

Loris