* Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-09-06 10:03 Elias Bounatirou
From: Elias Bounatirou @ 2021-09-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: jkitchin

I tried to insert a citation in a footnote using Org-ref-cite.
Unfortunately, when exporting to  LaTeX, the citation is ignored, i.e., it
is left out and does not appear in the LaTeX output. Is there a way to make
references appear in the footnotes or is there at least a work around? The
footnote itself in my case was created by C-c C-x f.
I am writing to the list, following John Kitchin's advice, who supposes
that the problem might be a limitation in Org-cite, see also my github
issue https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref-cite/issues/22.
I am using Org-mode to write a book on a linguistic subject and I
absolutely (desperately!) need footnotes with references in them.
Therefore, if the functionality in question does not exist, my mail is also
a feature request to create it.
Many thanks for your help.

Elias

(org-version)
"9.4.6"
(emacs-version)
"GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo
version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-06-04"

* Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-09-06 11:50 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-09-06 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Bounatirou; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

This works fine for me:

#+bibliography: test.bib
#+cite_export: biblatex verbose

Body text with a citation: [cite:@mcneill2011].

Footnote: [fn:1]

#+print_bibliography:

* Footnotes

[fn:1] A commentary, and then a citation: [cite:@low2001].

Results for the end is:

Body text with a citation: \autocite{mcneill2011}.

Footnote: \footnote{A commentary, and then a citation: \autocite{low2001}.}

@ 2021-09-06 15:45   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-09-06 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Bounatirou; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

It does seems there's a little bug with this; for in-footnote citation
outputs, but the second not.

Body text with a citation: [cite:@mcneill2011 with a suffix][fn:2].

Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011; with a suffix][fn:3].

@ 2021-09-07  8:21     ` Elias Bounatirou
From: Elias Bounatirou @ 2021-09-07  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email, John Kitchin

Just to clarify the BUG:
Citations in a footnote in the following environment are not exported to
LaTeX: when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a
suffix, i.e. for instance in

Am Mo., 6. Sept. 2021 um 17:45 Uhr schrieb Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com

@ 2021-10-03 22:23       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-10-03 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Bounatirou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Bruce D'Arcus, John Kitchin

Hello,

Elias Bounatirou <elias.bounatirou@gmail.com> writes:

> Just to clarify the BUG:
> Citations in a footnote in the following environment are not exported to
> LaTeX: when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a
> suffix, i.e. for instance in
>
> Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011 with a
> suffix][fn:3].

I cannot reproduce the problem. With the following document:

#+bibliography: foo.bibtex
#+cite_export: biblatex authoryear

Body text with a citation: [cite:@foo; @bar with a suffix][fn:1].

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Test

I get,

Body text with a citation: \autocites{foo}[][with a suffix]{bar}\footnote{Test}.

If I write

Body text with a citation: [cite:@foo; @bar; with a suffix][fn:1].

instead, I get

Body text with a citation: \autocites(with a suffix){foo}[][]{bar}\footnote{Test}.

Both seem correct.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-10-04 14:11         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-10-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Elias Bounatirou

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Elias Bounatirou <elias.bounatirou@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Just to clarify the BUG:
> > Citations in a footnote in the following environment are not exported to
> > LaTeX: when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a
> > suffix, i.e. for instance in
> >
> > Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011 with a
> > suffix][fn:3].
>
> I cannot reproduce the problem. With the following document:

> #+bibliography: foo.bibtex
> #+cite_export: biblatex authoryear

Can you try with a note-based style like verbose?

Bruce

* Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-10-04 14:26           ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-10-04 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Elias Bounatirou

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 10:11 AM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 6:23 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Elias Bounatirou <elias.bounatirou@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Just to clarify the BUG:
> > > Citations in a footnote in the following environment are not exported to
> > > LaTeX: when the footnote follows two or more citations, of which one has a
> > > suffix, i.e. for instance in
> > >
> > > Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011 with a
> > > suffix][fn:3].
> >
> > I cannot reproduce the problem. With the following document:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > #+bibliography: foo.bibtex
> > #+cite_export: biblatex authoryear
>
> Can you try with a note-based style like verbose?

Now I'm not sure.

Input:

----
#+language: en
#+bibliography: test.bib
#+cite_export: biblatex verbose

Body text with a citation: [cite:@low2001; @mcneill2011; with a suffix][fn:1].

#+print_bibliography:

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Third commentary, and then a citation: [cite:@low2001].
---

LaTeX output:

---
Body text with a citation: \autocites(with a
suffix){low2001}[][]{mcneill2011}\relax[1].

\printbibliography

Footnotes
─────────

[1] Third commentary, and then a citation: \autocite{low2001}.
---

But the PDF leaves off the last citation, in the footnote.

Bruce

* Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-10-05 21:08             ` Elias Bounatirou
From: Elias Bounatirou @ 2021-10-05 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email, Nicolas Goaziou

Many thanks to Nicolas and Bruce for their mails and their help.
However, it appears Nicolas' MWE unfortunately does not  reproduce the
issue. It's not the footnote that is omitted/ not exported, it's the
citation in the footnote that is left out (when the footnote follows two or
more citations, of which one has a suffix). In Nicolas' MWE, there is no
citation in the footnote. What seems to me (being no export on LaTeX)
strange about Bruce's LaTeX output is that there is no command
\footnote{...} or the like. So is the footnote-part of the LaTeX output
real LaTeX? (Sorry for this naïve question.)

I've tested again.
With verbose I get the same erroneous result: the citation in the footnote
is not rendered (using the development version of org-mode, see below):
INPUT:

#+LANGUAGE: en
#+latex_header:\usepackage{minted}
#+bibliography_style: plain
#+cite_export: biblatex verbose
# Bibliography (bib file) specified within org-ref-cite in the init file

Body text [cite: @ravlic2021; @saric2010 with a SUFFIX][fn:1]
\printbibliography

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(org-version)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 9.5

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(emacs-version)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo
version 1.16.0)
:  of 2021-06-04

* Footnotes

[fn:1]Test [cite: @senker1987]

LaTeX OUTPUT (shortened):

Body text \autocites{ravlic2021}[][with a SUFFIX]{saric2010}\footnote{Test}

\printbibliography

As a work around I insert a zero width space before footnotes in the
context described.

@ 2021-10-06 14:13               ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-10-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Bounatirou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Bruce D'Arcus

Hello,

Elias Bounatirou <elias.bounatirou@gmail.com> writes:

> However, it appears Nicolas' MWE unfortunately does not  reproduce the
> issue. It's not the footnote that is omitted/ not exported, it's the
> citation in the footnote that is left out (when the footnote follows two or
> more citations, of which one has a suffix). In Nicolas' MWE, there is no
> citation in the footnote. What seems to me (being no export on LaTeX)
> strange about Bruce's LaTeX output is that there is no command
> \footnote{...} or the like. So is the footnote-part of the LaTeX output
> real LaTeX? (Sorry for this naïve question.)

I noticed my ECM was not right. It took me a while to figure out the
issue.

> I've tested again.
> With verbose I get the same erroneous result: the citation in the footnote
> is not rendered (using the development version of org-mode, see below):
> INPUT:

[...]

> Body text [cite: @ravlic2021; @saric2010 with a SUFFIX][fn:1]

[...]

> [fn:1]Test [cite: @senker1987]
>
> LaTeX OUTPUT (shortened):
>
> Body text \autocites{ravlic2021}[][with a SUFFIX]{saric2010}\footnote{Test}

I think I fixed it. Could you confirm it?

Thank you.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Citation in footnote not expanded/exported to LaTeX (using Org-ref-cite)
@ 2021-10-08 13:33                 ` Elias Bounatirou
From: Elias Bounatirou @ 2021-10-08 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email, Bruce D'Arcus