From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Org V 9.5 error when ~/.cache doesn't exist
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 09:13:58 +1100	[thread overview]

> Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Figured out the problem.. looks like Org main branch doesn't support emacs
>> 25.
>>
>> My build script was building Org for all emacs versions starting from
>> version 25. It builds fine if remove the build  for emacs 25. I think I
>> missed it somewhere that Org main branch is dropping emacs 25 support.
>
> I am not sure if we are dropping Emacs 25 just yet. However, there is
> currently more than one place in Org that does not work on Emacs 25.
> See https://list.orgmode.org/87zgqu6081.fsf@localhost/T/#t
>
> If compilation is critical for you, I can make a patch to make things
> compile in Emacs 25. Though compatibility layer for xdg is more tricky.
> I do not want to do it unless necessary.

If we assume this version will not be released until Emacs 28 is
released, then I don't think emacs 25.x compatibility is required.
However, if these changes are to be incorporated into a release prior to
the release of Emacs 28, support for version 25.x would be required.

While release candidates for Emacs 28 have been released, I'm not sure
version 28 will be out this year. I would expect it will be released in
the next 6 - 12 months.

I would assume emacs 28 to include the released
9.5 (plus bug fixes) version and these changes to be in the 9.6 version?