From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Library of babel help
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 19:30:55 +1000	[thread overview]

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> in my attempt to fix up some issues on the Worg site, I'm finding there
> is considerably more things broken than I initially realised. One of
> these things is 'the library of babel".
>
> There is a link to the library-of-babel.org file on worg from within the
> Emacs manual. This link is currently failing with a 404 error. However,
> if you use the link embedded in the actual worg pages, you will get a
> link to the library-of-babel.org file hosted in the git repository on
> sourcehut, not worg. (it would appear that either the current build
> process is not copying the *.org files to the web server or the web
> server has not been configured to allow access to *.org files and always
> redirects you to the *.html version).
>
> I believe the reason the link to the HTML file is failing is because the
> conversion from *.org to *.html is failing because of invalid emacs lisp
> in the org file source blocks. The problem is there are 5 references to
> flet, which was deprecated in Emacs 24.3.
>
> To my questions -
>
> 1. Has anyone got a more recent version of the library-of-babel.org file
> which has the fet references replaced with something more appropriate
> (perhaps cl-flet, cl-letf or noflet)?
>
> If nobody has, then I can have a go at fixing it up, but as I don't use
> it, I will have trouble making sure it works correctly.
>
> 2. I seem to recall that at one point, you could view the *.org sources
> of pages on worg. I think this was a useful feature and we should
> re-enable it. However, I suspect the nginx server will need some
> tweaking. Is updating the server config to allow *.org access a
> reasonable thing to do?
>
> 3. What should we do about the manual? We could (temporarily at least)
> change the reference to point to the current (broken) version in the
> sourcehut git repository or we can leave it until the file is again
> being served by the worg server or .....

Something else I forgot to mention just in case someone is looking at
the git repository.

There are actually two library-of-babel.org files. One is in the root
folder and the other is in org-contrib/babel. The file
org-contrib/index.org actually links to the version in the root folder
and not the one in the same folder as it is located. Looking at them
both, I think the one in org-contrib/babel is older (certainly smaller
wiht fewer code blocks). Ironically, it doesn't have the flet issue.

I plan to move the org-contrib/babel/library-of-babel.org file to the
archive directory to avoid confusion in future.