* Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages
       [not found] ` <878rnozpnw.fsf@posteo.net>
@ 2022-08-16  8:23   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2022-08-16  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Typo in info pages
Date: 2022-08-16 06:08
 From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
To: edgar@openmail.cc

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> I stored this link with Org (mode):
> [[info:org#Formula syntax for Calc]]
>
> There, one can find
>
>     if(typeof(vmean($1..$7)) =​= 12, string(""), vmean($1..$7); E’
>
> which I believe that should be
>
>     if(typeof(vmean($1..$7)) =​= 12, string(""), vmean($1..$7)); E’
>
> Cheers!

You should probably send a message to emacs-orgmode@gnu.org about this.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Re: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages
@ 2022-08-19  5:39     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-19  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

>> I stored this link with Org (mode):
>> [[info:org#Formula syntax for Calc]]
>>
>> There, one can find
>>
>>     if(typeof(vmean($1..$7)) =​= 12, string(""), vmean($1..$7); E’
>>
>> which I believe that should be
>>
>>     if(typeof(vmean($1..$7)) =​= 12, string(""), vmean($1..$7)); E’

Thanks for reporting!
Fixed on main via 45e02e6bc.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=45e02e6bc67c1d22c7b2560fc0fc5a7e86aea0e2

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages
@ 2022-08-19  8:52       ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2022-08-19  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2022-08-19 05:39, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,

This is great! You should add cryptocurrencies there :) .

@ 2022-08-20  7:12         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-20  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> On 2022-08-19 05:39, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,
>
> This is great! You should add cryptocurrencies there :) .

Cryptocurrencies are tricky.
See https://list.orgmode.org/87mte8xdse.fsf@localhost/

Note that https://liberapay.com/org-mode is a "team" page aiming to
divide the donations across the interested Org contributors (see
https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/). However,
cryptocurrencies are not supported by Liberapay. We cannot utilize
Liberapay for this purpose.

The only option is individual Org contributors sharing their
cryprowallets individually. This can be done inside Liberapay personal
pages, but no single Org contributor accepting the donations have
a cryptowallet. This may change in future if we add more people though.

In the past discussions people suggested to use MyMonero (limited to
Monero) and GNU Taler (not really usable yet) cryprowallets as the ones
complaint with FSF ethics. However, it is unclear if MyMonery is going
to be a practical option given the huge number of available kinds of
crypto.

To summarize, not every Org contributor is willing or legally able to
use crypto. Also, it is unclear which cryptocurrency is the best to
accept.

--

@ 2022-08-20 13:32           ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2022-08-20 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2022-08-20 07:12, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> edgar@openmail.cc writes:
> --- snip 8< ---
> Note that https://liberapay.com/org-mode is a "team" page aiming to
> divide the donations across the interested Org contributors (see
> https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/). However,
> cryptocurrencies are not supported by Liberapay. We cannot utilize
> Liberapay for this purpose.
> --- snip 8< ---

I think that a disclaimer or note like that should be added to

>>> Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,

Otherwise, it's misleading. My intention was to donate to the overall
development of Org, not just a "team".

This would ensure:

@ 2022-08-20 13:46             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-20 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> On 2022-08-20 07:12, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> edgar@openmail.cc writes:
>> --- snip 8< ---
>> Note that https://liberapay.com/org-mode is a "team" page aiming to
>> divide the donations across the interested Org contributors (see
>> https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/). However,
>> cryptocurrencies are not supported by Liberapay. We cannot utilize
>> Liberapay for this purpose.
>> --- snip 8< ---
>
> I think that a disclaimer or note like that should be added to

> Otherwise, it's misleading. My intention was to donate to the overall
> development of Org, not just a "team".

Could you please elaborate about what you mean by "overall development"?

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here.
Let ma clarify about our donation page:
- Org repository is hosted on savannah as a GNU project. It's free.
- Org webpage is hosted on a donated server space. It's also free.
- Org development is done by volunteers. It's also free - nobody is
  expected to be paid for Org development beforehand.
- For a long time, the donations were directed to the main Org
  maintainer (Bastien). AFAIU, it was because people wanted to donate,
  and we simply got a token donation target.
- Recently, we made an alternative donation scheme where multiple Org
  contributors can share the donations. We have invited all the major
  contributors. Some accepted. Some plain did not want donations. Some
  are yet to reply.

So, what I call "team" is equivalent to donations to the overall
development. These donations (note that it's not really much money) are
simply an extra motivation for Org committers. Org project has no real
expenses.

--

@ 2022-08-20 13:57               ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2022-08-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2022-08-20 13:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> So, what I call "team" is equivalent to donations to the overall
> development. These donations (note that it's not really much money) are
> simply an extra motivation for Org committers. Org project has no real
> expenses.

Yep, I saw the amounts. I mean 1 € per week!...

I didn't want to disrespect you in any way. I am still glad that I made
the contribution, and I know that money is not the motivation for the
good development (I tried to be generous, nevertheless). However, may be
it would be wise to add that link
(https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/) next to the
donations link so that people understand about the context beforehand (I
would have liked to read the thread). Also, I appreciate the implied
transparency when you sent me the link. (That is what I think that
people will like. It is also important to educate each other).

In any case, it was just a recommendation, not a complaint :) . Cheers!

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Org donations page statement: explain where the donations are coming to? (was: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages)
@ 2022-08-20 14:09                 ` Ihor Radchenko
                                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-20 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar, Bastien, orgmode; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> On 2022-08-20 13:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> So, what I call "team" is equivalent to donations to the overall
>> development. These donations (note that it's not really much money) are
>> simply an extra motivation for Org committers. Org project has no real
>> expenses.
>
> Yep, I saw the amounts. I mean 1 € per week!...

To be even more precise, the amounts in https://liberapay.com/org-mode
are mostly because we created the page recently. A more appropriate
number is in https://liberapay.com/bzg/, which was the donation page
that had been used since years back.

> I didn't want to disrespect you in any way. I am still glad that I made
> the contribution, and I know that money is not the motivation for the
> good development (I tried to be generous, nevertheless). However, may be
> it would be wise to add that link
> (https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/) next to the
> donations link so that people understand about the context beforehand (I
> would have liked to read the thread). Also, I appreciate the implied
> transparency when you sent me the link. (That is what I think that
> people will like. It is also important to educate each other).
>
> In any case, it was just a recommendation, not a complaint :) . Cheers!

I am CCing Bastien. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

In addition to the previously discussed JS disclaimer, we can explain
that the donations are used as extra encouragement for significant Org
contributors and link the ML discussion.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at https://orgmode.org/.
Support Org development at https://liberapay.com/org-mode,
or support my work at https://liberapay.com/yantar92

* Re: Org donations page statement: explain where the donations are coming to? (was: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages)
@ 2022-08-20 14:21                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-08-20 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: Bastien, orgmode, emacs-orgmode

> edgar@openmail.cc writes:
>
>> On 2022-08-20 13:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>> So, what I call "team" is equivalent to donations to the overall
>>> development. These donations (note that it's not really much money) are
>>> simply an extra motivation for Org committers. Org project has no real
>>> expenses.
>>
>> Yep, I saw the amounts. I mean 1 € per week!...
>
> To be even more precise, the amounts in https://liberapay.com/org-mode
> are mostly because we created the page recently. A more appropriate
> number is in https://liberapay.com/bzg/, which was the donation page
> that had been used since years back.

I forgot PayPal and https://github.com/sponsors/bzg (They were
alternative options until
https://list.orgmode.org/871qzqg81c.fsf@gnu.org/)

* Re: Org donations page statement: explain where the donations are coming to? (was: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages)
@ 2022-09-20  8:22                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-20  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: edgar; +Cc: Bastien, orgmode, emacs-orgmode

Done. Link to the discussion has been added to https://liberapay.com/org-mode