From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
To: edgar@openmail.cc, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>, orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Org donations page statement: explain where the donations are coming to? (was: Fwd: Re: Typo in info pages)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 22:09:50 +0800	[thread overview]

edgar@openmail.cc writes:

> On 2022-08-20 13:46, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> So, what I call "team" is equivalent to donations to the overall
>> development. These donations (note that it's not really much money) are
>> simply an extra motivation for Org committers. Org project has no real
>> expenses.
>
> Yep, I saw the amounts. I mean 1 € per week!...

To be even more precise, the amounts in https://liberapay.com/org-mode
are mostly because we created the page recently. A more appropriate
number is in https://liberapay.com/bzg/, which was the donation page
that had been used since years back.

> I didn't want to disrespect you in any way. I am still glad that I made
> the contribution, and I know that money is not the motivation for the
> good development (I tried to be generous, nevertheless). However, may be
> it would be wise to add that link
> (https://list.orgmode.org/87iloyyd1y.fsf@localhost/) next to the
> donations link so that people understand about the context beforehand (I
> would have liked to read the thread). Also, I appreciate the implied
> transparency when you sent me the link. (That is what I think that
> people will like. It is also important to educate each other).
>
> In any case, it was just a recommendation, not a complaint :) . Cheers!

I am CCing Bastien. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

In addition to the previously discussed JS disclaimer, we can explain
that the donations are used as extra encouragement for significant Org
contributors and link the ML discussion.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,