Ihor Radchenko writes: > Max Nikulin writes: > >>> [previous object ] >> >> Yes, you do. >> >> I expected some complications due to newline characters (not line break >> markup objects), but they are not included in :post-blank and >> represented as "\n" string objects. > > Newlines are tricky. They may or may not be significant. > For example, in CJK paragraphs, newlines are to be stripped. > > I think that a reasonable thing to do could be not adding newlines if > the previous object is a plain string ending with a newline. I think that using max(n1,n2) is an overkill. There is no reason to alter existing spaces before, if any. I am attaching tentative patch that simply keeps spaces, but if and only if the previous object does not end with whitespace (including newline).