* [BUG] org-texinfo-export-to-info docstring describes a non-existing optional argument
@ 2023-05-24 14:47 Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2023-05-24 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The `org-texinfo-export-to-info' docstring describes a non-existing optional
argument PUB-DIR but no such argument is given in the definition.  Perhaps
it
did in the past?

Aside, when invoking this command on an org file I get the following error
which may or not be a bug also:

org-compile-file: File "<path-to-repository>/org-gtd.el/doc/org-gtd.info"
wasn’t produced See "Org INFO Texinfo Output" for details

The strange thing is the INFO file is produced (or rather updated as it
already
existed) and the output buffer is empty.  The INFO file resides in the
directory above the one that contains the org and texinfo files.  The error
states it is not produced in the directory where the org and texinfo files
reside so perhaps unsurprising if it already exists in the parent directory.
Should they all reside in the same directory perhaps?

Thanks for Org and your time.

* Re: [BUG] org-texinfo-export-to-info docstring describes a non-existing optional argument
@ 2023-05-24 14:59 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-24 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Niall Dooley <dooleyn@gmail.com> writes:

> The `org-texinfo-export-to-info' docstring describes a non-existing optional
> argument PUB-DIR but no such argument is given in the definition.  Perhaps
> it
> did in the past?

Yup.
Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?h=bugfix&id=8037aab4938d5b063d718bfe4421ab3470bd7f5c

> Aside, when invoking this command on an org file I get the following error
> which may or not be a bug also:
>
> org-compile-file: File "<path-to-repository>/org-gtd.el/doc/org-gtd.info"
> wasn’t produced See "Org INFO Texinfo Output" for details

It would help if you provided more details. Ideally, steps to reproduce
the problem. See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [BUG] org-texinfo-export-to-info docstring describes a non-existing optional argument
@ 2023-05-24 18:10   ` Niall Dooley
From: Niall Dooley @ 2023-05-24 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 24 May 2023 at 16:55, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> > Aside, when invoking this command on an org file I get the following error
> > which may or not be a bug also:
> >
> > org-compile-file: File "<path-to-repository>/org-gtd.el/doc/org-gtd.info"
> > wasn’t producedSee "Org INFO Texinfo Output" for details
>
> It would help if you provided more details. Ideally, steps to reproduce
> the problem. See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

I dug a little deeper. `org-tex-info-export-to-info' calls
`org-texinfo-compile' which in turn calls `org-compile-file'.  In this
function, there is a comment stating "Check for process failure.  Output file
is expected to be located in the same directory as SOURCE." which seems to
confirm my suspicions that the output .info file is expected to be in the same
directory as the source .texinfo file.  Doing that however, I still get the
same process "error" as before and the .info file produced in the parent
directory.

Whilst reading `org-compile-file' I noted the following formatted string
explains an error I noted in the process error I reported earlier.

"File %S wasn't produced%s"

That is this formatted string should be:

"File %S wasn't produced.  %s"

to avoid the two strings being concatenated together and no punctuation
separating them.

* Re: [BUG] org-texinfo-export-to-info docstring describes a non-existing optional argument
@ 2023-05-25 11:58     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niall Dooley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Niall Dooley <dooleyn@gmail.com> writes:

>> It would help if you provided more details. Ideally, steps to reproduce
>> the problem. See https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> I dug a little deeper. `org-tex-info-export-to-info' calls
> `org-texinfo-compile' which in turn calls `org-compile-file'.  In this
> function, there is a comment stating "Check for process failure.  Output file
> is expected to be located in the same directory as SOURCE." which seems to
> confirm my suspicions that the output .info file is expected to be in the same
> directory as the source .texinfo file.  Doing that however, I still get the
> same process "error" as before and the .info file produced in the parent
> directory.

Which does not help to diagnose the problem, unfortunately.
May you try to reproduce starting from emacs -Q or make repro? See
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Essentially, we need to know enough information to see the problem on
our side and understand what the problem is.

> Whilst reading `org-compile-file' I noted the following formatted string
> explains an error I noted in the process error I reported earlier.
>
> "File %S wasn't produced%s"
>
> That is this formatted string should be:
>
> "File %S wasn't produced.  %s"
>
> to avoid the two strings being concatenated together and no punctuation
> separating them.

Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=93492b861

--