From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
To: Francesc Rocher <francesc.rocher@gmail.com>, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Ada/SPARK support in Babel
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:17:28 +0000	[thread overview]

[ I am going through some old threads without reply. ]

Francesc Rocher <francesc.rocher@gmail.com> writes:

> I've started developing Babel support for Ada and SPARK languages.
> I would like to include them in the main org-mode repository, as an
> additional ("officially") supported language by org-mode.
> For a new language to be included in the main org-mode repository, it
> is required that the language:
>
>   1. is supported by Emacs
>   2. has a large user-base

> IMMO both requirements are satisfied:
>
>   1. ada-mode supports Ada (and, partially, SPARK)
>   2. Ada appears in position 32 in the TIOBE rank of programming
>      languages popularity (https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/), above
>      other languages supported by Babel like Julia, Clojure, Haskell,
>      Scheme, awk, Forth, Ocaml or sed. (SPARK appears in the next 100)

From Bastien
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87bl9rq29m.fsf@gnu.org/

    I suggest a criterium for keeping ob*.el files in Org could be that
    the extension is known by Emacs _or_ that the supported language is
    well-established.

Ada appears to fit in.

> Do you think that Ada/SPARK support should be included in the main
> org-mode repository? Or in the org-contrib one?

org-mode or ELPA. org-contrib is deprecated now.

I am, however, concerned that https://github.com/rocher/ob-ada-spark/
did not show much interest (just a single issue). Also, no replies on
this list from users.

It appears that we have not many Org mode users who need Ada support.

But I also know that Ada is certainly well-established and active -
https://www.adaic.org/events/.

My initial assessment is that we might include babel support for Ada if
it is accompanied by good set of tests, so that we do not need to worry
too much about things breaking even if there is no ob-ada maintainer.

... and let's see if the original author is still interested to continue
with his request.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,