* path completion with file: links?
@ 2009-01-08 20:38 Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-01-08 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

When creating a file link with C-c C-l, I appreciate that the initial
file: specifier is autocompleted for me, but I don't subsequently get
autocompletion on path names. Is that supposed to happen, and if not
would it be possible / how difficult would it be?

Thanks,

Dan

--
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~davison

* Re: path completion with file: links?
@ 2009-01-08 20:58 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-08 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> When creating a file link with C-c C-l, I appreciate that the initial
> file: specifier is autocompleted for me, but I don't subsequently get
> autocompletion on path names. Is that supposed to happen, and if not
> would it be possible / how difficult would it be?

Try adding a prefix argument to C-c C-l.

C-u C-c C-l should do the trick.

- Matt

* Re: path completion with file: links?
@ 2009-01-09  9:04   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

Hi,

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> When creating a file link with C-c C-l, I appreciate that the initial
>> file: specifier is autocompleted for me, but I don't subsequently get
>> autocompletion on path names. Is that supposed to happen, and if not
>> would it be possible / how difficult would it be?
>
> Try adding a prefix argument to C-c C-l.
>
> C-u C-c C-l should do the trick.

Or as a side-note not relevant to org-mode: With hippie-expand one can
complete path names (and various other things like completing "3 * 2 ="
to " 3 * 2 = 6") in every part of emacs.  Just put

,----[ C-h f try-complete-file-name-partially RET ]
| try-complete-file-name-partially is a compiled Lisp function in
| `hippie-exp.el'.
|
| (try-complete-file-name-partially old)
|
| Try to complete text as a file name, as many characters as unique.
| The argument old has to be nil the first call of this function.  It
| returns t if a unique, possibly partial, completion is found, nil
| otherwise.
`----

into `hippie-expand-try-functions-list' and bind `hippie-expand' to some
key.

Bye,
Tassilo