* Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-12 21:32 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-06-12 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
(CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-12 21:52 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-06-12 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

That is what the Worg project does, its linked to off the main
Org-mode page.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 04:32:36PM -0500, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-12 22:09   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-06-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hmm, I thought Worg was an approach on using org (in a distributed
manner, with the goal of contributing to the org-mode project itself)
instead of an extension to provide wiki-enhancements to org. Or am I
wrong?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-06-12 22:35     ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2009-06-12 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Its a shared Git repo whose content is exported to html on a regular
basis.

Therefor it is;

 - Multiuser
 - Versioned (Git)
 - Browser compatible (read only)
 - Based on Org (writing)

All the standard hyperlinks apply.

Is there something wiki-like you wanted specifically? I think the only
item we don't do is CamelCase.

Thanks.

@ 2009-06-12 22:41     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2009-06-12 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think the use of the work wiki here is causing confusion.

I don't think you are talking about actually running a wiki based on
org-mode formatted files (to which worg would be applicable).

However rather than the behavior you are suggesting (automatically
transforming CamelCase words into links in org-mode buffers) it should
be sufficient to use the `org-insert-link' function, or if you would
prefer a different syntax you could try something like the following
which will prompt you for a file name after you type "file" and then hit
the [TAB] key.

;; expand files on tab
(defun org-insert-link-maybe ()
  "insert a file link depending on the context"
  (interactive)
  (let ((case-fold-search t))
    (if (save-excursion (when (re-search-backward "[[:space:]]" nil t) (forward-char 1) (looking-at "\\[?\\[?file:?")))
        (progn (replace-match "") (org-insert-link '(4)) t)
      nil)))

(add-hook 'org-tab-first-hook 'org-insert-link-maybe)

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2009-06-12 23:26     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-12 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
> Hmm, I thought Worg was an approach on using org (in a distributed
> manner, with the goal of contributing to the org-mode project itself)
> instead of an extension to provide wiki-enhancements to org. Or am I
> wrong?

Worg is loosely realated to orgmode.org. We link back and forth, but
stuff committed to Worg will always show up below orgmode.org/worg/.

It's not a wiki though. We push to a common repo, and that repo is
pulled (I think once an hour) and then exported on (or to??) the server
by emacs. That's how the site is kept up to date.

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Russell Adams<RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> wrote:
>>> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
>>> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
>>> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
>>> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
>>> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
>>> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.

There are no CamelCase links in Org-mode for a reason. But there is
automatic link and page creation. I have no problem with this syntax
here:

   [[file:../relative/path.org][Look here]]

   http://orgmode.org/worg
   file:./file.png
   file:somefile.org

You can create the page simply by clicking on the (file) link or
pressing `C-c C-o' while on it.

You go back to the link with `C-x &' later on.

And, automatic link creation can be done the other way round in
Org-mode:

If you visit an interesting place (a web page, email, man page...) you
store a link to that location, whenever you either `remember' something,
or through `C-c L', or click your org-remember bookmark, org-store-link
bookmark, org-open-source bookmark....

In the `C-c L' case you may insert the link later on by pressing `C-c
C-l'. In case you clicked a `store-link' bookmark, simple yanking is
enough.

Hm - `C-c L' and remember are even more usefull. For emacs users _very_
usefull, since you may store usefull links to a place _inside_ a source
file to a file _inside_ a certain projects documentation/todo-file.

But back to the wiki thing: why not use a WIKI when you need one ????

Org-mode is ready to generate online content, yes, but online content is
not ready to cope with full fledged org files (should be feasable, but
no one did it).

Best wishes

   Sebastian

* Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-12 23:30       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-06-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you all for the replies,

What I was suggesting is something like what WikiDPad does, a local
wiki-like KB. WikiDPad exposes a very agile workflow, where CameCased
words get automatically identified as wiki words and it automatically
create files in the filesystem with the name of the wikiword.

@ 2009-06-13  0:03         ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-06-13  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you all for the replies,
>
> What I was suggesting is something like what WikiDPad does, a local
> wiki-like KB. WikiDPad exposes a very agile workflow, where CameCased
> words get automatically identified as wiki words and it automatically
> create files in the filesystem with the name of the wikiword.

Hi Marcelo,

I just did a search of the mailing list for 'CamelCase' (search
available on the org home page) and it shows that what support there was
for CamelCase-style links has always been unenthusiastic and was
eventually removed from the core. I think people are happy with the
current syntax for links, and as Sebastian and Eric have shown, we
already have convenient commands for e.g. creating the links, and
creating content in the file being linked to. However, as Carsten points
out in one of those threads, that's not to say someone couldn't add it
as a contributed package.

One of the posts thrown up by that search is by Taru Karttunen,

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13050

showing a line of perl that can help with converting existing camel case
links to org style. (For most normal people I imagine that it also
provides a beneficial exercise in perl regexps.)

Dan

@ 2009-06-13 19:56 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-06-13 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.

As others have already mentioned, org-mode does not support CamelCase
words. But it's method for creating links is quite nice and allows org
to function very easily as a wiki.

To make org-mode more "wiki-like," I add the following to my .emacs
file. The first variable has to come *before* org is loaded:

(setq org-return-follows-link t)
(setq org-open-non-existing-files t)

To create a link to a new file/wiki page, I simply type C-u C-c C-l and
the name of the file I want to link to (e.g., a-new-file.org). Org
nicely prompts me to add a description (e.g. "A new file"). The result
is the following link:

[[file:a-new-file.org][A new file]]

Then, all I need to do is place the cursor on the link, hit return, and
voilà, I am transported to the new page.

That said, if you'd like something that functions more like a
conventional wiki (CamelCase words, backlinks, interwiki links, etc.),
you can always take a look at Muse Mode.

Regards,
Matt

* Re: Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-13 20:17   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-13 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
> Hi Marcelo,
>
> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know you
>> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
>> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having wikiwords
>> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
>> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
>> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.
>>

> As others have already mentioned, org-mode does not support CamelCase
> words. But it's method for creating links is quite nice and allows org
> to function very easily as a wiki.
>
> To make org-mode more "wiki-like," I add the following to my .emacs
> file. The first variable has to come *before* org is loaded:
>

> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
> (setq org-open-non-existing-files t)

Hm - then either the docs or the code has a bug.

`C-h v org-open-non-existing-files' gives me this:

   org-open-non-existing-files is a variable defined in `org.el'.
   Its value is nil

   Documentation:
   Non-nil means, `org-open-file' will open non-existing files.
   When nil, an error will be generated.

   You can customize this variable.

   [back]

As you can see, it says `org-open-non-existing-files' is nil. But still,
I can follow the link without error (even with `debug-on-error' == t).

I didn't notice that, since it's so natural to open such a file. It will
become a physical file once I save it, so I cannot see a reason to avoid
that.

   Sebastian

* Re: Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-14  6:13     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-14  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Matthew Lundin, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 13, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>> Hi Marcelo,
>>
>> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wonder what is the best way to implement a wiki with org? I know
>>> you
>>> can hyperlink to anything, but what I was thinking was something
>>> automatic, like what WikiDPad does or Tomboy -- like having
>>> wikiwords
>>> (CamelCase) automatically linked as you type to a filename in the
>>> system (a specific directory you specify for the wiki). If it is not
>>> possible, it could be a nice addition for a future org version.
>>>

>> As others have already mentioned, org-mode does not support CamelCase
>> words. But it's method for creating links is quite nice and allows
>> org
>> to function very easily as a wiki.
>>
>> To make org-mode more "wiki-like," I add the following to my .emacs
>> file. The first variable has to come *before* org is loaded:
>>

>> (setq org-return-follows-link t)
>> (setq org-open-non-existing-files t)
>

> Hm - then either the docs or the code has a bug.
>
> `C-h v org-open-non-existing-files' gives me this:
>

>   org-open-non-existing-files is a variable defined in `org.el'.
>   Its value is nil
>
>   Documentation:
>   Non-nil means, `org-open-file' will open non-existing files.
>   When nil, an error will be generated.
>
>   You can customize this variable.
>
>   [back]
>

> As you can see, it says `org-open-non-existing-files' is nil. But
> still,
> I can follow the link without error (even with `debug-on-error' == t).
>
> I didn't notice that, since it's so natural to open such a file. It
> will
> become a physical file once I save it, so I cannot see a reason to
> avoid
> that.

Yes, the doc string was incomplete.  Here is what this looks like in
the code:

     (if (and (not (eq cmd 'emacs)) ; Emacs has no problems with non-
ex files
	     (not (file-exists-p file))
	     (not org-open-non-existing-files))
	(error "No such file: %s" file))

I have amended the docstring of that variable.

- Carsten

* Re: Keeping a wiki with org-mode
@ 2009-06-14  6:17           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-14  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 13, 2009, at 2:03 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thank you all for the replies,
>>
>> What I was suggesting is something like what WikiDPad does, a local
>> wiki-like KB. WikiDPad exposes a very agile workflow, where CameCased
>> words get automatically identified as wiki words and it automatically
>> create files in the filesystem with the name of the wikiword.
>
> Hi Marcelo,
>
> I just did a search of the mailing list for 'CamelCase' (search
> available on the org home page) and it shows that what support there
> was
> for CamelCase-style links has always been unenthusiastic and was
> eventually removed from the core. I think people are happy with the
> current syntax for links, and as Sebastian and Eric have shown, we
> already have convenient commands for e.g. creating the links, and
> creating content in the file being linked to. However, as Carsten
> points
> out in one of those threads, that's not to say someone couldn't add it
> as a contributed package.
>
> One of the posts thrown up by that search is by Taru Karttunen,
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/13050
>
> showing a line of perl that can help with converting existing camel
> case
> links to org style. (For most normal people I imagine that it also
> provides a beneficial exercise in perl regexps.)

And if someone wanted it badly enough, I am sure it would not be hard
to implements CamelCase links as an add-on and use hooks to convert
these links to file: links for export.  I personally don;t like
CamelCase
because is it unstable and will give bad results for MacArthur and
in many other cases.

- Carsten