* org-ido-completing-read not defined
@ 2009-08-19  8:19 Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-08-19  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.With latest org-mode (release_6.29c.47.gc7c1.dirty):

1. There are still many calls to org-ido-completing-read (ex: „e“ at column view) which won't work because commit 5acac25dc17916fb850c31a715e95ce50de216d0 (All completing-read behavior for iswitchb users) renamed that function.

2. Other functions were renamed, like org-completing-read-no-ido → org-completing-read-no-i. I don't know how that's better.

3. I don't understand why Org has to hard-code references to a specific implementation of completion. I stopped using ido long ago and started using icicles; therefore it feels strange to know that I might be using different engines at the same time, one for Org, the other for the rest of Emacs.
   Isn't there a completion interface in Emacs?
   (I think CEDET will provide one, but for normal buffers, not minibuffer).

-- Daniel

* Re: org-ido-completing-read not defined
@ 2009-08-19  9:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-19  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 19, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

> Hi.With latest org-mode (release_6.29c.47.gc7c1.dirty):
>
> 1. There are still many calls to org-ido-completing-read (ex: „e“
> at column view) which won't work because commit
> 5acac25dc17916fb850c31a715e95ce50de216d0 (All completing-read
> behavior for iswitchb users) renamed that function.

Ooops, looks like this patch was incomplete.  Fixed now.

> 2. Other functions were renamed, like org-completing-read-no-ido →
> org-completing-read-no-i. I don't know how that's better.

Because his now covers both ido and iswitchb-like completion

> 3. I don't understand why Org has to hard-code references to a
> specific implementation of completion. I stopped using ido long ago
> and started using icicles; therefore it feels strange to know that I
> might be using different engines at the same time, one for Org, the
> other for the rest of Emacs.
>   Isn't there a completion interface in Emacs?
>   (I think CEDET will provide one, but for normal buffers, not
> minibuffer).

ido and iswitchb do not cover "normal" completion, only buffer
switching and file selection.  Org-mode can be made to use these
interfaces also for other completion prompts by setting the
appropriate options.

I am not an icicles user, but I believe it will automatically affect
almost all completion prompts.  So just don't set the variables
selection ido or iswitchb support in Org, and you should automatically
have your favorite completion setup.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: org-ido-completing-read not defined
@ 2009-08-19  9:48   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-08-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

El dc, ago 19 2009 a les 11:10, Carsten Dominik va escriure:

> Ooops, looks like this patch was incomplete.  Fixed now.

Thanks, it works now.

>> 2. Other functions were renamed, like org-completing-read-no-ido →
>> org-completing-read-no-i. I don't know how that's better.
>
> Because his now covers both ido and iswitchb-like completion

Ok, I didn't understand the -i and thought that some letters went missing (ido→i)…

>> 3. I don't understand why Org has to hard-code references to a specific
>> implementation of completion. I stopped using ido long ago  and started using
>> icicles; therefore it feels strange to know that I  might be using different
>> engines at the same time, one for Org, the  other for the rest of Emacs.
>>   Isn't there a completion interface in Emacs?
>>   (I think CEDET will provide one, but for normal buffers, not minibuffer).
>
> ido and iswitchb do not cover "normal" completion, only buffer switching and
> file selection.  Org-mode can be made to use these  interfaces also for other
> completion prompts by setting the  appropriate options.
>
> I am not an icicles user, but I believe it will automatically affect almost all
> completion prompts.  So just don't set the variables  selection ido or iswitchb
> support in Org, and you should automatically  have your favorite completion
> setup.

Yes, icicles affects all minibuffer prompts, and apparently ido and iswitchb don't; therefore ido and iswitchb need „registering“ and custom code in Org, and icicles doesn't.
I think I understand; thanks