* feature request: scroll other window in agenda view follow mode
@ 2009-10-15  6:52 Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga @ 2009-10-15  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten,

I wonder whether I could request a small feature addition in org-mode
(or have a pointer to already implemented functionality, of course
;-)?

Using the agenda view with follow mode is fantastic for complex agenda
views.  What I find, however, is that I miss having a scroll other
window as implemented in many other "2 window" interfaces in Emacs
(e.g. most mail user agents like rmail, wanderlust, gnus, etc.).  I
find myself hitting spacebar to scroll down the other window (the one
with the org file view) as I would in mail tools and it does nothing.

The request would be to have org-agenda-show, bound to ' ', scroll
down the other window if already showing the entry.  Would this be
possible easily?

I realise that I could simply type M-C-v but it would be nice to have
consistency with other emacs tools.  I have tried mapping the spacebar
to scroll-other-window in the agenda keymap but this does nothing
because the agenda view simply re-shows the org file at the same
location!

Thanks,
eric

* Re: feature request: scroll other window in agenda view follow mode
@ 2009-10-20  8:56 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-20  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

this is, in principle, not hard to do.  The issue I see is that
it would require to make the entire subtree visible in the target
buffer, so whenever you are looking at stuff with the agenda if
would (more thoroughly than now) change the outline visibility in that
file.

- Carsten

On Oct 15, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I wonder whether I could request a small feature addition in org-mode
> (or have a pointer to already implemented functionality, of course
> ;-)?
>
> Using the agenda view with follow mode is fantastic for complex agenda
> views.  What I find, however, is that I miss having a scroll other
> window as implemented in many other "2 window" interfaces in Emacs
> (e.g. most mail user agents like rmail, wanderlust, gnus, etc.).  I
> find myself hitting spacebar to scroll down the other window (the one
> with the org file view) as I would in mail tools and it does nothing.
>
> The request would be to have org-agenda-show, bound to ' ', scroll
> down the other window if already showing the entry.  Would this be
> possible easily?
>
> I realise that I could simply type M-C-v but it would be nice to have
> consistency with other emacs tools.  I have tried mapping the spacebar
> to scroll-other-window in the agenda keymap but this does nothing
> because the agenda view simply re-shows the org file at the same
> location!
>
> Thanks,
> eric

- Carsten

* Re: feature request: scroll other window in agenda view follow mode
@ 2009-10-20 14:17 ` Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga, Eric S Fraga @ 2009-10-20 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:52:38 +0100,
Eric S Fraga wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I wonder whether I could request a small feature addition in org-mode
> (or have a pointer to already implemented functionality, of course
> ;-)?
>
> Using the agenda view with follow mode is fantastic for complex agenda
> views.  What I find, however, is that I miss having a scroll other
> window as implemented in many other "2 window" interfaces in Emacs

Further on this.  When follow mode is active, the
"delete-other-windows" function doesn't really delete all other
windows when point is on an item in the agenda view.  Well, it does
*but8 the "follow" item is automatically re-displayed.  I wonder if it
would be possible to have the follow more action only take place after
motion in the agenda view?  This would solve my other problem (mapping

@ 2009-10-20 15:13   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-10-20 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:56:38 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> this is, in principle, not hard to do.  The issue I see is that
> it would require to make the entire subtree visible in the target
> buffer, so whenever you are looking at stuff with the agenda if
> would (more thoroughly than now) change the outline visibility in that
> file.

Ah, very true.  I never considered this but that's mostly because most
of my agenda targets are leaves in the tree, I guess.  It's just that
some of these leaves are long (e.g. agenda items for a meeting that's
been scheduled).

My most recent email crossed yours in the aether so maybe the solution
I propose there might be appropriate for this in any case.

@ 2009-10-20 16:28   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 20, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:52:38 +0100,
> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>
>> Carsten,
>>
>> I wonder whether I could request a small feature addition in org-mode
>> (or have a pointer to already implemented functionality, of course
>> ;-)?
>>
>> Using the agenda view with follow mode is fantastic for complex
>> agenda
>> views.  What I find, however, is that I miss having a scroll other
>> window as implemented in many other "2 window" interfaces in Emacs
>
> Further on this.  When follow mode is active, the
> "delete-other-windows" function doesn't really delete all other
> windows when point is on an item in the agenda view.  Well, it does
> *but8 the "follow" item is automatically re-displayed.  I wonder if it
> would be possible to have the follow more action only take place after
> motion in the agenda view?  This would solve my other problem (mapping
> the space-bar to scroll-other-window).

This is a very good idea, I have been bothered by this often.

- Carsten

> Thanks,
> eric

- Carsten