From: "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
To: Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org-Babel - Clojure & Lazy Sequences Bug
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 11:58:45 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi Rick,

I've noticed this as well.  I'm not the original author of ob-clojure.el
(Joel Boehland is), so I'm not sure how the clojure interaction
currently works, although I know it makes heavy usage of slime.  There
must be an existing mechanism used by slime to unroll these lazy
evaluations, for example in the repl (range 10) *is* expanded

user> (range 10)
(0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)

I'm using clojure extensively in my studies so I have all the more
reason to try to figure this out.  I'll put this on my stack.

BTW: I've noticed that I am unable to get Clojure code blocks to play
nicely with existing slime sessions, say for example I have some large
piece of data in scope in a slime sessions and I'd like to access that
data from a clojure code block and dump some analysis to an Org-mode
document.  I have not yet found out how to make this work.  If you have,
I'd love to hear how, otherwise I'll look into this as well.

Best -- Eric

Having just looked at this quickly, the following function over-defines
`org-babel-execute:clojure' s.t.  the body of the code block is sent to
the superior list in the same manner as when calling `slime-eval-defun'
from within a .clj file.  While this doesn't handle starting up clojure
instances or differentiate between session and external evaluation it
should fix the issues mentioned above and could be the beginning of a
permanent solution.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun org-babel-execute:clojure (body params)
    (with-temp-buffer
      (insert body)
      (read
       (slime-eval
        `(swank:interactive-eval-region
          ,(buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))))))
#+end_src

which then results in

#+begin_src clojure
  (map (fn [el] (list el (* el el))) (range 10))
#+end_src

evaluating to

#+results:
| 0 |  0 |