* [org-beamer] Help: Questions about overlay, background image, spacing between bullet points, and footnote
@ 2010-12-26  6:48 Sunny Srivastava
From: Sunny Srivastava @ 2010-12-26  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Org-moders:

I was trying to use org-mode to make a beamer presentation. The tutorial on
Worg by Eric Fraga helped a lot (thank you Eric). However, I am stuck with a
few questions. Some of them are because of me being picky (apologies in
advance for that). To make my questions clearer here is a reproducible
example

* Laws of Nature

** Newton's law
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_envargs: [<+->]
   :END:

*** First law of motion
    Constant motion[fn:1]

*** Second law of motion
    Equal and opposite force[fn:2]

** Einstein's Law
   :PROPERTIES:
   :BEAMER_envargs: [<+->]
   :END:

*** First law
    Light is the fastest[fn:3]

*** Second law
    Length can shrink

* Footnotes
[fn:1] f1
[fn:2] f2
[fn:3] f3

1. Overlay :: I googled and found this (
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg29607.html), which was
helpful. However, lets say I want to have this to work for the entire
presentation how should I do this? In my example, BEAMER_envargs [<+->]
appears in Newton's and Einstein's laws, respectively. Is there a way to do
this once so that both the frames inherit it? I tried to put the
:PROPERTIES: drawer below =* Laws of nature= and it didn't work

2. Footnote :: Presently, footnotes f1 and f2 appear together and I want to
appear them in order of appearance of the bullet points. On a side note, one
of the users of org-mode and a member of this list, Mr. Bernd Weiss, came up
with this nice idea, called "\infobox{}" (which I copied from his org-beamer
presentation). It is a piece of LaTeX code which makes the footer appear in
a fancy way.

\newcommand{\infobox}[1]{
  \vfill\vfill\hrule
  \begin{columns}[t]
    \begin{column}{0.02\textwidth}
      \Info
    \end{column}
    \begin{column}[T]{0.97\textwidth}
      \tiny{#1}
    \end{column}
\end{columns}}

For this case, the footers will be

\infobox{ f1\\ f2} ## Note this is not exactly similar to C-c C-x f as there
is no marking on the main slide, but looks beautiful (to me).

If some one can help me in working \infobox{} and [fns], that would be pure
awesomeness.

3. Spacing between bullet points :: Currently I am using \vspace15pt to
increase the space between bullet points in a frame. This is a LaTeX-y way
of handling things, but I was wondering if there an org-mode way of doing
it?

4. Background Image for a slide :: I wanted to insert (different) background
images on different slides and I was trying to use something like:

\usebackgroundtemplate{\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth]{../images/crayons.png}}

But, this did not work for me. Is there a way of doing this? I also tried
Eric's example of inserting images but failed again. He says "I have added
an attribute to the image to tell LaTeX to scale the image to the full width
of the column." I think my problem is related to this as I don't know which
attribute is this (I am just guessing here, it is very possible I didn't
understand him!!).

Any help or pointers  are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

Misc. details: Org-mode version 7.3 (release_7.3.196.g13637), GNU Emacs
23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)

* Re: [org-beamer] Help: Questions about overlay, background image, spacing between bullet points, and footnote
@ 2011-01-04  0:33 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-04  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sunny Srivastava <research.baba@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Org-moders:
>
> I was trying to use org-mode to make a beamer presentation. The
> tutorial on Worg by Eric Fraga helped a lot (thank you Eric).

You're very welcome.  Sorry for delay in answering but I have avoided
much of my email over the xmas period... :-)

> However, I am stuck with a few questions. Some of them are because of
> me being picky (apologies in advance for that). To make my questions
> clearer here is a reproducible example

I cannot help you with most of what you are asking unfortunately.
Hopefully others will.  You may wish to check out the beamer mailing
list or newsgroup for help as well?

[...]

> 4. Background Image for a slide :: I wanted to insert (different)
> background images on different slides and I was trying to use
> something like:
>
> \usebackgroundtemplate{\includegraphics[width=\paperwidth]{../images/
> crayons.png}}
>
> But, this did not work for me. Is there a way of doing this? I also
> tried Eric's example of inserting images but failed again. He says "I
> have added an attribute to the image to tell LaTeX to scale the image
> to the full width of the column." I think my problem is related to

The attribute I was referring to is the ATTR_LATEX line which specified
the width of the image but, in my case, the latex code created by org
will be \includegraphics[...]{...}.  Your question here is more of a
beamer question than an org question.  Is the latex code you specify
above exported correctly by org?  That is, have you looked at the latex
code created by the export to see what it looks like?

Happy new year to all!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 23.2.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.100.gdf7d)