* Small bug in table editing
@ 2011-02-03  9:40 Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2011-02-03  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi,

I've been using the table editing feature of org mode, I never
realised plain text tables could be such fun to work with, and I just
came across a small bug. I had entered a table:

| Heading 1 | Heading 2 |
|         1 |         2 |
|        11 |        22 |

and then decided I wanted to go back and put a horizontal line after
the heading.  So I want to the start of the line after the heading and
entered "|-"

| Heading 1 | Heading 2 |
|-|         1 |         2 |
|        11 |        22 |

when I then pressed enter (or tab), the first line of data got eaten
up and replaced with the horizontal line like this:

| Heading 1 | Heading 2 |
|-----------+-----------|
|        11 |        22 |

This wasn't the behaviour I was expecting :).  While it is pretty
obvious to see what was going on in this example, if you have a long
table it isn't as obvious and I didn't notice until much later (emacs
undo in region saved the day).

Cheers,
Chris.

* Re: Small bug in table editing
@ 2011-02-03 18:27 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-02-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> writes:
> and then decided I wanted to go back and put a horizontal line after
> the heading.  So I want to the start of the line after the heading and
> entered "|-"

Not really a bug...anything past '|-' is considered garbage.
Try 'C-c -' instead, or open a new line when you enter '|-'.

Achim.

* Re: Re: Small bug in table editing
@ 2011-02-04  9:04   ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2011-02-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I tend to disagree. I feel that anything that breaks the semantic
model of "enter = insert new line at point" is a bug.  Particularly if
it results in the loss of data.  But I can be persuaded otherwise.

Cheers
Chris

@ 2011-02-04 16:58     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-02-04 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> writes:
> I tend to disagree. I feel that anything that breaks the semantic
> model of "enter = insert new line at point" is a bug.

Then don't use org-mode tables, because "enter" has different (and at
least to me) more useful semantics there.

Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: Re: Small bug in table editing
@ 2011-02-07  9:26       ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2011-02-07  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As I said, I can be persuaded otherwise, but saying don't use org-mode
tables isn't very persuasive.  What is the semantic model for "enter"
when using org-mode tables? Clearly I don't understand it.

Thanks,
Chris.

@ 2011-02-11 11:29         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> writes:

> As I said, I can be persuaded otherwise, but saying don't use org-mode
> tables isn't very persuasive.

:)

> What is the semantic model for "enter"
> when using org-mode tables? Clearly I don't understand it.

Return and TAB reformats the current table line.
Return goes to next-line and same-column cell.
TAB goes to the same-line and next-column cell.

I think reformatting a line starting with |- to |----+----|
is the right thing to do.

What did you expect instead?

--