* benefit to having org files in one folder
@ 2011-12-10 17:44 prad
From: prad @ 2011-12-10 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

i read somewhere that we should keep orgfiles in an org folder.
i've used org casually that way and otherwise.

what advantages are there to having them in a single folder?

--
in friendship,
prad

* Re: benefit to having org files in one folder
@ 2011-12-11  0:23 ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-12-11  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

prad <prad <at> towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> i read somewhere that we should keep orgfiles in an org folder.
> i've used org casually that way and otherwise.
>
> what advantages are there to having them in a single folder?

It can be easier to specify agenda files if you have all of them in a single
directory.  If you include a directory in the agenda-files variable then all
.org files in that directory will automatically be included in agenda-files.

-- Herb

* Re: benefit to having org files in one folder
@ 2011-12-11  0:54   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-12-11  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 01:23, Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you include a directory in the agenda-files variable then all
> .org files in that directory will automatically be included in agenda-files.

And I believe all archive files are included in the text search (C-c a s).

--
Suvayu

* Re: benefit to having org files in one folder
@ 2011-12-11  6:11   ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2011-12-11  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Sitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Dec 10 2011, Herbert Sitz wrote:

> prad <prad <at> towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>>
>> i read somewhere that we should keep orgfiles in an org folder.  i've
>> used org casually that way and otherwise.
>>
>> what advantages are there to having them in a single folder?
>>

> It can be easier to specify agenda files if you have all of them in a
> single directory.  If you include a directory in the agenda-files
> variable then all .org files in that directory will automatically be
> included in agenda-files.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is that you can use a revision control
system to keep your files in sync across several computers.  If you have
your org files scatter all over your file system that becomes much more
difficult.

Jason