* A visibility (ellipsis) problem with `C-c .'
@ 2012-02-05  3:27 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-02-05  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, Org people.

Consider a header having many sub-headers, and which is closed.  So I
only see that header, followed by an ellipsis at the end of that line.
On that header, command `C-c .' turns the initial star (or string
thereof) into a dash.  Now, I see an item with the same text as the
previous header, still followed by an ellipsis at the end of that line.
Now, TAB has no effect: it does not expand the ellipsis into the
previous contents (the minibuffer writes "EMPTY ENTRY", which is likely
improper)

So I have to fight a tiny bit for being able to edit the contents.  I go
one level up, collapse then expand, and everything becomes OK.

François

* Re: A visibility (ellipsis) problem with `C-c .'
@ 2012-02-05  7:35 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-05  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?utf-8?Q?Fran=C3=A7ois?= Pinard; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Consider a header having many sub-headers, and which is closed.  So I
> only see that header, followed by an ellipsis at the end of that line.
> On that header, command `C-c .' turns the initial star (or string
> thereof) into a dash.

I don't understand: C-c . does org-time-stamp - how/why is the initial start
turned into a dash? Where exactly is the cursor at the time? If I do C-c . at
the end of the line (the final dot of the ellipis), a timestamp is inserted in
the header. I can still TAB to unfold.

Nick

@ 2012-02-05 12:48   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2012-02-05 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Consider a header having many sub-headers, and which is closed.  So I
>> only see that header, followed by an ellipsis at the end of that line.
>> On that header, command `C-c .' turns the initial star (or string
>> thereof) into a dash.

> I don't understand: C-c . does org-time-stamp

Oops, Nick, sorry!  I meant `C-c -' (a dash, not a period).

@ 2012-02-05 14:26 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-02-05 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

pinard@iro.umontreal.ca (François Pinard) writes:

> So I have to fight a tiny bit for being able to edit the contents.  I go
> one level up, collapse then expand, and everything becomes OK.

I just use C-u C-u C-u TAB to expand everything wihtout moving point in
that case and fold it again later.

-Bernt