* [babel] using babel for regression testing
@ 2012-04-12 16:05 Ilya Shlyakhter
From: Ilya Shlyakhter @ 2012-04-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a babel command to do the following:
evaluate all code blocks; for those for which the result is not yet
recorded in the org file, record the result; for those for which the
result was already recorded, compare the new result with the old result;
flag blocks where there is a difference.

thanks,

ilya

* Re: [babel] using babel for regression testing
@ 2012-04-17 17:46 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-17 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilya Shlyakhter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ilya Shlyakhter <ilya_shl@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Is there a babel command to do the following:
> evaluate all code blocks; for those for which the result is not yet
> recorded in the org file, record the result; for those for which the
> result was already recorded, compare the new result with the old result;
> flag blocks where there is a difference.
>
> thanks,
>
> ilya

Hi ilya,

No, the above workflow is not wrapped up in any existing single Babel
function.  If you wanted to implement this yourself you could do so with
a custom emacs lisp function or perhaps more easily, you could either;

1. add one code block to the file which calls all other code blocks and
   performs the result comparison, or

2. you could do what we did when initially testing the Babel
   functionality, and include all of your tests in a single table along
   with the expected results, you can then use the `sbe' function from
   table formulas, to run all code blocks by evaluating the table.

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/