* difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 13:40 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2012-08-25 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

tl;dr
I've seemingly managed to install org 7.9, but M-x org-version yields
Org-mode version N/A (N/A @ /home/brian/.emacsd/site-lisp/)

The details:

I've not really been following the new build system discussions, but
was half-ways dreading my first org-mode upgrade unde them :-)

I just downloaded the gz.tar of the newly released 7.9; it untarred to
org-7.9-3-ga986d3.

I did my best to follow the instruction on
<http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html> and in local.mk.

I made the changes:

# Where local software is found
# Note, *not* ~/.emacs.d but ~/.emacsd, a dir I created to store my
personal emacs stuff
prefix	= /home/brian/.emacsd

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir= $(prefix)/site-lisp

# Where local data files go.
datadir = $(prefix)/etc

# Where info files go.
infodir = $(prefix)/info

ORG_MAKE_DOC = info # html pdf
INSTALL_INFO = ginstall-info # Debian: avoid harmless warning message

(Apart from the ORG_MAKE_DOC setting, these are exactly the changes I
have always made to upgrade from one released version to another. I've
tried multiple times both with and without the ORG_MAKE_DOC and
INSTALL_INFO settings.)

I then ran make help, make config, and make install as instructed.
(After the issue described below, I also deleted everything installed
and tried again with sudo make install achieving the same result.)

Once that was done, I launched a fresh emacs, visited an .org file,
and ran M-x org-version. What I got was:

Org-mode version N/A (N/A @ /home/brian/.emacsd/site-lisp/)

This seems to indicate that something went wrong, somewhere.

I'm pretty sure at least some of org 7.9 got installed. On the newly
installed version, I have org-insert-all-links available (via M-x
org-insert-all<TAB>) whereas on the previously installed version of
org-mode, tab completion for this command name does not work.

M-x emacs-version yields:
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1) of
2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian

~$ make --version
GNU Make 3.81

The first things I have in my .emacs that are org-related are adding
/home/brian/.emacsd/site-lisp to my load path and then (require
'org-install).

I've little doubt it is operator error, but I am at a loss for how to
proceed. Little help?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 17:24 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brian van den Broek writes:
> I've seemingly managed to install org 7.9, but M-x org-version yields
> Org-mode version N/A (N/A @ /home/brian/.emacsd/site-lisp/)
>
> The details:

You could've saved yourself a lot of writing if you'd just posted what

make config-all

prints out.  But the only way this output from org-verison can be
produced by a compiled version of Org is if you install with make, but
without Git (like you later tell us you've done).  In this case, you
need to tell make the version you're installing since it cannot ask Git
for it:

make ORGVERSION=7.9 GITVERSION=org-7.9-3-ga986d3 install

Rest assured that aside from two missing version strings everything has
worked likee it should as far as I can tell.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 19:08   ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2012-08-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25 August 2012 13:24, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Brian van den Broek writes:
>> I've seemingly managed to install org 7.9, but M-x org-version yields
>> Org-mode version N/A (N/A @ /home/brian/.emacsd/site-lisp/)
>>
>> The details:
>
> You could've saved yourself a lot of writing if you'd just posted what
>
> make config-all
>
> prints out.  But the only way this output from org-verison can be
> produced by a compiled version of Org is if you install with make, but
> without Git (like you later tell us you've done).  In this case, you
> need to tell make the version you're installing since it cannot ask Git
> for it:
>
> make ORGVERSION=7.9 GITVERSION=org-7.9-3-ga986d3 install

Thanks Achim.

That does seem to fix the manifested problem. (make install-info seems
to leave with with the 6.33x docs, but that's a problem for another
day and thread, I expect.)

Sorry for the verbosity. As I expect is clear, I don't have a good
handle on what is going on and opted for risking too much information
to avoid the need to tease more out of me through a few rounds of

I would suggest that the installation instructions at
<http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation> be updated,
as there one finds nothing about the need for ORGVERSION and
GITVERTSION arguments to make. (While I know patches are welcome, I am
reluctant to try to patch docs for an issue that I don't understand
well.)

@ 2012-08-25 20:03     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Brian van den Broek writes:
> On 25 August 2012 13:24, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> That does seem to fix the manifested problem. (make install-info seems
> to leave with with the 6.33x docs, but that's a problem for another
> day and thread, I expect.)

Then the configuration for the info directory is wrong (you install into
a different directory than what Emacs uses to find it).  Check where
Emacs picks up the old documentation and change the configuration so
that the new info file goes where the old was.  If you have multiple
info directories set up, check that your place of installation comes
first.

> Sorry for the verbosity.

No need to be sorry, I didn't mean to say you wrote too much… just that
you could have saved yourself some time that way.

> I would suggest that the installation instructions at
> <http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation> be updated,
> as there one finds nothing about the need for ORGVERSION and
> GITVERSION arguments to make.

I hadn't really considered installation from tarballs down to that
detail.  I may just add some code to recognize that situation and put
the version information into the tarball itself.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 20:12       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-25 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

>> I would suggest that the installation instructions at
>> <http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation> be updated,
>> as there one finds nothing about the need for ORGVERSION and
>> GITVERSION arguments to make.
>
> I hadn't really considered installation from tarballs down to that
> detail.  I may just add some code to recognize that situation and put
> the version information into the tarball itself.

There is something I don't understand here: the version *is* in
org-7.9.tar.gz and org-7.9.zip with lisp/org-version.el.

I assumed that, in the absence of git, `make' would rely on this.

True?

--
 Bastien

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 20:16         ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2012-08-25 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25 August 2012 16:12, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>>> I would suggest that the installation instructions at
>>> <http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation> be updated,
>>> as there one finds nothing about the need for ORGVERSION and
>>> GITVERSION arguments to make.
>>
>> I hadn't really considered installation from tarballs down to that
>> detail.  I may just add some code to recognize that situation and put
>> the version information into the tarball itself.
>
> There is something I don't understand here: the version *is* in
> org-7.9.tar.gz and org-7.9.zip with lisp/org-version.el.
>
> I assumed that, in the absence of git, `make' would rely on this.
>
> True?
>
> --
>  Bastien

Hi Bastien,

I don't warrant that all else is in order on my system, but for me, it did not.

Best,

Brian

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 20:18         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> There is something I don't understand here: the version *is* in
> org-7.9.tar.gz and org-7.9.zip with lisp/org-version.el.

Yes, that is for when you would want to run uncompiled from the unpacked
tarball.

> I assumed that, in the absence of git, `make' would rely on this.

No.  Make always re-makes these targets and in the absence of getting a
version from git or from configuration it falls back to "N/A".  I'll add
a file to the tarball that just defines these two variables and include
that when absolutely no version is defined.  If these variables are
still undefined I continue to fall back to "N/A".  The version from a
tarball can't change, so it's OK to fix it like that I think.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-25 20:23           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> There is something I don't understand here: the version *is* in
>> org-7.9.tar.gz and org-7.9.zip with lisp/org-version.el.
>
> Yes, that is for when you would want to run uncompiled from the unpacked
> tarball.

Okay.

> I'll add
> a file to the tarball that just defines these two variables and include
> that when absolutely no version is defined.

Can't we just have this in default.mk?  Do we need yet another file?

> If these variables are
> still undefined I continue to fall back to "N/A".  The version from a
> tarball can't change, so it's OK to fix it like that I think.

Okay.  Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-26  7:10             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-26  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
>> I'll add
>> a file to the tarball that just defines these two variables and include
>> that when absolutely no version is defined.
>
> Can't we just have this in default.mk?  Do we need yet another file?

That would mean I'd have to change default.mk while building the tarball
and then change it back afterwards.  There's no way I can make that
completely foolproof, so I'll rather just generate a file specifically
for the tarball that I can throw away any time without having to keep
state.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: difficulty installing 7.9 with the new build system: org-version not informative
@ 2012-08-26  7:45               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>>> I'll add
>>> a file to the tarball that just defines these two variables and include
>>> that when absolutely no version is defined.
>>
>> Can't we just have this in default.mk?  Do we need yet another file?
>
> That would mean I'd have to change default.mk while building the tarball
> and then change it back afterwards.  There's no way I can make that
> completely foolproof, so I'll rather just generate a file specifically
> for the tarball that I can throw away any time without having to keep
> state.

Let me know if I understand correctly: that's because you don't want
default.mk to contain a manually inserted ORGVERSION variable, right?

Otherwise I don't see the problem with having a fallback ORGVERSION
variable in default.mk (which I'll happily insert manually, to have a
taste of the Good Old Days, when (defconst org-version "...") was
still in org.el... :)

--
 Bastien