* Beamer presentation using new exporter
@ 2013-03-01 10:19 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-03-01 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am finally trying to use the new exporter to create a beamer
presentation. I started with a simple orgmode file. My file is as
follows:

#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+TITLE: Title
#+AUTHOR: My name
#+E-MAIL: username@email.org
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+BEAMER_THEME: default
#+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_act(Act) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_opt(Opt)
#+PROPERTY: BEAMER_col_ALL 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 0.0 :ETC

* Introduction
** temp1
+ temp123
** temp2
+ skjdskjdk

------cut here--------

The log file showing the error is attached herewith.

I am using org-version 7.9.3f.

Will be grateful if somebody could explain why am I getting an error.

Vikas

[-- Attachment #2: credit.log --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1913 bytes --]

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012/Debian)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/home/vikas/Rural-credit/credit.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, lo
aded.
! Undefined control sequence.
l.2 \usetheme
             {default}

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.2 \usetheme{d
               efault}
! Undefined control sequence.
l.6 \hypersetup
               {
(/home/vikas/Rural-credit//credit.aux)

! LaTeX Error: The font size command \normalsize is not defined:
               there is probably something wrong with the class file.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.10 \begin{document}

! Undefined control sequence.
l.12 \maketitle

! LaTeX Error: The font size command \normalsize is not defined:
               there is probably something wrong with the class file.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.30 \end{document}

[1
! Undefined control sequence.
<write> \newlabel{sec-1}{{1}{\thepage
                                      }}
l.30 \end{document}

] (/home/vikas/Rural-credit//credit.aux) )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on /home/vikas/Rural-credit//credit.pdf (1 page, 988 bytes).
Transcript written on /home/vikas/Rural-credit//credit.log.

* Re: Beamer presentation using new exporter
@ 2013-03-01 11:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <20130302045338.GA15307@panahar>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-01 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I am finally trying to use the new exporter to create a beamer
> presentation. I started with a simple orgmode file. My file is as
> follows:
>
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
> #+TITLE: Title
> #+AUTHOR: My name
> #+E-MAIL: username@email.org

This is unrelated to your problem, but it should be "#+EMAIL:"

> #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer

"beamer" class is probably not defined in `org-latex-classes', hence
your problem.

Note the name of the class doesn't matter, but it should be associated
to a "beamer" documentclass anyway, unless you have loaded a specific
package for Beamer article mode.

> #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
> #+BEAMER_THEME: default
> #+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_act(Act) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_opt(Opt)
> #+PROPERTY: BEAMER_col_ALL 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 0.0 :ETC

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Beamer presentation using new exporter
       [not found]     ` <877glqciou.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2013-03-03  1:46       ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-03-03  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> > I have been trying to figure out how to do this. I saw Suvayu's config
> > files which he has kindly kept on github
> > (https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d).
> >
> > I tried to evaluate the following lines
> >
> > (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
> >              '("beamer"
> >                "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
> >                ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
> >                ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
> >                ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))
> >

> > But I get the following error:
> >
> > Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes
> >
> > Why should that be?
>
> You may be using an outdated version (maint branch?). Otherwise, latex
> back-end may not be loaded, but it is by default (see
> `org-export-backends').

I shifted from the elpa version to the version downloaded using git
repository. But I still get this error. org-version says:

Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1360-g2d3add @
/home/vikas/lisp/org-mode/lisp/)

Vikas

* Re: Beamer presentation using new exporter
@ 2013-03-03  8:42         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-03  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

>> > I have been trying to figure out how to do this. I saw Suvayu's config
>> > files which he has kindly kept on github
>> > (https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d).
>> >
>> > I tried to evaluate the following lines
>> >
>> > (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
>> >              '("beamer"
>> >                "\\documentclass\[presentation\]\{beamer\}"
>> >                ("\\section\{%s\}" . "\\section*\{%s\}")
>> >                ("\\subsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsection*\{%s\}")
>> >                ("\\subsubsection\{%s\}" . "\\subsubsection*\{%s\}")))
>> >

>> > But I get the following error:
>> >
>> > Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes
>> >
>> > Why should that be?
>>
>> You may be using an outdated version (maint branch?). Otherwise, latex
>> back-end may not be loaded, but it is by default (see
>> `org-export-backends').
>
> I shifted from the elpa version to the version downloaded using git
> repository. But I still get this error. org-version says:
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-1360-g2d3add @
> /home/vikas/lisp/org-mode/lisp/)

Without configuration, export framework and default back-ends are not
loaded along with Org, but the first you need them (by calling an
autoloaded function).

You may be trying to modify `org-latex-classes' before having `ox-latex'
loaded.

You can either explicitly (require 'ox-latex) before that, which will
load all export framework along with Org, or use the following
construct:

  (eval-after-load 'ox-latex
    '(add-to-list ...))

In the latter case, you still get framework loaded only when you need it
the first time.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Beamer presentation using new exporter
@ 2013-03-04 11:53           ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2013-03-04 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> You may be trying to modify `org-latex-classes' before having `ox-latex'
> loaded.
>
> You can either explicitly (require 'ox-latex) before that, which will
> load all export framework along with Org, or use the following
> construct:

I don't know why this is turning out to be so difficult. I have got
ox-latex loaded, and have defined beamer class in org-latex-classes.

But I still get an error with the simple org file that I am trying to
export. I am attaching both the org file, and the log of errors thrown
by pdftex.

Will be grateful if somebody could explain what may be wrong now. This
is turning out to be quite frustrating.

Vikas

[-- Attachment #2: credit.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 413 bytes --]

#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+TITLE: Title
#+AUTHOR: My name
#+EMAIL: username@email.org
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [presentation]
#+BEAMER_THEME: default
#+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %10BEAMER_act(Act) %4BEAMER_col(Col) %8BEAMER_opt(Opt)
#+PROPERTY: BEAMER_col_ALL 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 0.0 :ETC

* Introduction
** temp1
+ temp123
** temp2
+ skjdskjdk

[-- Attachment #3: credit.log --]
[...]

l.31 \end{document}

[1

@ 2013-03-04 14:02             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-04 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Vikas Rawal <vikaslists@agrarianresearch.org> writes:

> I don't know why this is turning out to be so difficult. I have got
> ox-latex loaded, and have defined beamer class in org-latex-classes.

You mean `ox-beamer' right?

> But I still get an error with the simple org file that I am trying to
> export. I am attaching both the org file, and the log of errors thrown
> by pdftex.
>
> Will be grateful if somebody could explain what may be wrong now. This
> is turning out to be quite frustrating.

It looks like you're encountering the same problem. How do you export
your document?

For example "C-c C-e l O" should use Beamer back-end. If this isn't
a valid combination, you didn't load beamer backend. Tweak
`org-export-backends' to fix it.

Nicolas Goaziou