* Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-14 18:45 Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2014-01-14 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hello,

Is there a way to italicise a block of text rather that just single
words? (org-mode 8.0.3).

Thanks,
Roger

* Re: Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-14 22:48 ` Alexander Baier
       [not found]   ` <52D68D5E.9010205@mun.ca>
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-01-14 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: org-mode

On 2014-01-14 19:45 Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to italicise a block of text rather that just single
> words? (org-mode 8.0.3).
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Does this work?

/This is a block of text./
/This is a block of text./
/This is a block of text./

HTH,
--
 Alexander Baier

* Re: Italicise block of text
       [not found]   ` <52D68D5E.9010205@mun.ca>
@ 2014-01-15 16:50     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-01-15 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Roger,

when answering a mail/post from the list, please Cc the list in your
response, so other members of the list can see your mail to.

On 2014-01-15 14:30 Roger Mason wrote:
> But this does not:
>
> /Perhaps, but [...] to replacement./

> I just get a block of text bounded by / and / in the resulting pdf.

Maybe the markup gets escaped somehow by special characters in the text.
I do not know enough about the markup of org to help you here.  I think
Nicolas can give you a more satisfying answer.

 Alexander Baier

* Re: Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-19 13:22       ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2014-01-19 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 01/15/2014 01:20 PM, Alexander Baier wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>
> when answering a mail/post from the list, please Cc the list in your
> response, so other members of the list can see your mail to.
>
> On 2014-01-15 14:30 Roger Mason wrote:
>> But this does not:
>>
>> /Perhaps, but [...] to replacement./
>> I just get a block of text bounded by / and / in the resulting pdf.
> Maybe the markup gets escaped somehow by special characters in the text.
> I do not know enough about the markup of org to help you here.  I think
> Nicolas can give you a more satisfying answer.
>
> Regards,
> --
>   Alexander Baier
Thanks again for your help.  It is easy to fix using a regex to insert /
at line beginnings and ends, so not a big deal for me.

Sorry about the botched reply-to-list: twitchy trigger-finger.

Roger

* Re: Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-21  2:40 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-01-21  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: org-mode

Dunno if this makes sense, but now that we have @@html: ... @@ etc., I
wonder if it is worth considering @@italic: ... @@, or @@emphasis /:
... @@, or @@emphasis italic: ... @@.

Or $[emphasis :beg "/"] ... $[emphasis :end] as previously discussed.

===

Samuel

The disease DOES progress.  MANY people have died from it.  ANYBODY can get it.

Denmark: free Karina Hansen NOW.

* Re: Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-21 16:46   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-01-21 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Roger Mason, org-mode

> Dunno if this makes sense, but now that we have @@html: ... @@ etc., I
> wonder if it is worth considering @@italic: ... @@, or @@emphasis /:
> ... @@, or @@emphasis italic: ... @@.
> Or $[emphasis :beg "/"] ... $[emphasis :end] as previously discussed.

No.  Please no!  We'll end up with XML before long :-(

Semantically, the use of @@ is for actions that are export target
specific whereas italic etc. are text markup and inherently export
target neutral (generally).  Very different beasts...

One major attraction of org, for me, is the minimal clutter introduced
by the language so that it doesn't get in the way of the writing.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.1, Org release_8.2.4-322-gece429

* Re: Italicise block of text
@ 2014-01-21 17:02     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-21 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Roger Mason, org-mode

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dunno if this makes sense, but now that we have @@html: ... @@ etc., I
>> wonder if it is worth considering @@italic: ... @@, or @@emphasis /:
>> ... @@, or @@emphasis italic: ... @@.
>> Or $[emphasis :beg "/"] ... $[emphasis :end] as previously discussed.
>
> No.  Please no!  We'll end up with XML before long :-(
>
> Semantically, the use of @@ is for actions that are export target
> specific whereas italic etc. are text markup and inherently export
> target neutral (generally).  Very different beasts...
>
> One major attraction of org, for me, is the minimal clutter introduced
> by the language so that it doesn't get in the way of the writing.

I don't think we need another syntax for emphasis. Moreover, the three
lines limitation can be removed at some point, i.e., once we have
a powerful enough fontification system.

Nicolas Goaziou