* Export all headlines when some are set with :export:
@ 2014-05-10  3:11 John Hendy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2014-05-10  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

In creating a packing/buy list for an upcoming camping trip, I wanted
two exports:
- one for things to buy
- one for everything on the list for packing

My strategy was to tag things to buy with :export: (perhaps foolish,
but it was the obvious choice to selectively export them) to create my
shopping list. I'd also like an alternate export with all headlines in
the subtree exported.

Now the list is done like that, but I'm not sure how to export
everything without undoing all the tags on the buy list items.

I'm thinking I should have done something like a :buy: tag, then set
SELECT_TAGS to target those items, followed by removing that export
option and exporting as normal to get them all. Just thought I'd see
if there was a way to override the function of :export: as it
typically behaves.

Thanks,
John

* Re: Export all headlines when some are set with :export:
@ 2014-05-10  4:32 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-05-10  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> In creating a packing/buy list for an upcoming camping trip, I wanted
> two exports:
> - one for things to buy
> - one for everything on the list for packing
>
> My strategy was to tag things to buy with :export: (perhaps foolish,
> but it was the obvious choice to selectively export them) to create my
> shopping list. I'd also like an alternate export with all headlines in
> the subtree exported.
>
> Now the list is done like that, but I'm not sure how to export
> everything without undoing all the tags on the buy list items.
>
> I'm thinking I should have done something like a :buy: tag, then set
> SELECT_TAGS to target those items, followed by removing that export
> option and exporting as normal to get them all. Just thought I'd see
> if there was a way to override the function of :export: as it
> typically behaves.

An empty SELECT_TAGS selects everything I believe:

#+SELECT_TAGS:

* a														   :export:

* b

* c

* d														   :export:

Then you can comment it out to get just the :export:ed headlines.
But a semantically meaningful tag seems better to me.

--
Nick

* Re: Export all headlines when some are set with :export:
@ 2014-05-10  9:02 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-10  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-10 05:11 John Hendy wrote:
> Hello,
>

> In creating a packing/buy list for an upcoming camping trip, I wanted
> two exports:
> - one for things to buy
> - one for everything on the list for packing

If those two lists are disjoint, you can put each of them under its own
subtree and export only the respective subtree.

With point on the subtree to export press C-c C-e C-s toggeling the
subtree export.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Export all headlines when some are set with :export:
@ 2014-05-10  9:51 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-10  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-10 05:11 John Hendy wrote:
> In creating a packing/buy list for an upcoming camping trip, I wanted
> two exports:
> - one for things to buy
> - one for everything on the list for packing

If these two lists are disjoint you could put each of them under its own
subtree and export these subtrees seperately.  Just press C-s in the
export dispatcher.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: Export all headlines when some are set with :export:
@ 2014-05-10 14:14   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-05-10 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 9, 2014 11:32 PM, "Nick Dokos" <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In creating a packing/buy list for an upcoming camping trip, I wanted
> > two exports:
> > - one for things to buy
> > - one for everything on the list for packing
> >
> > My strategy was to tag things to buy with :export: (perhaps foolish,
> > but it was the obvious choice to selectively export them) to create my
> > shopping list. I'd also like an alternate export with all headlines in
> > the subtree exported.
> >
> > Now the list is done like that, but I'm not sure how to export
> > everything without undoing all the tags on the buy list items.
> >
> > I'm thinking I should have done something like a :buy: tag, then set
> > SELECT_TAGS to target those items, followed by removing that export
> > option and exporting as normal to get them all. Just thought I'd see
> > if there was a way to override the function of :export: as it
> > typically behaves.
> >

> An empty SELECT_TAGS selects everything I believe:

> #+SELECT_TAGS:
>
> * a
                                         :export:

> * b
>
> * c
>
> * d
                                         :export:

> Then you can comment it out to get just the :export:ed headlines.
> But a semantically meaningful tag seems better to me.

Awesome, and I'll keep that in mind. Agreed re. the better strategy with
non-org tags, which is what I ended up doing.

Thanks!
John

@ 2014-05-10 14:15   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-05-10 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)