* A version of `show-branches' that doesn't expand archived subtrees
@ 2014-05-30  2:07 GNRC
From: GNRC @ 2014-05-30  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there such a function?

* Re: A version of `show-branches' that doesn't expand archived subtrees
@ 2014-05-30  5:53 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-30  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNRC; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

GNRC <vd43210@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there such a function?

Please be more explicit about what you need.

--
 Bastien

* Re: A version of `show-branches' that doesn't expand archivedsubtreess
@ 2014-05-30 16:27   ` GNRC
From: GNRC @ 2014-05-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: GNRC, emacs-orgmode

Say I've got the following file:
--begin--
* Top
** Second
*** Third
** Archive :ARCHIVE:
*** Thing
*** Another thing
--end--
I'd like to be able to put the cursor at the beginning of that top
heading and press (e.g.) C-u C-c C-k, and have it then fold as
this:
--begin--
* Top
** Second
*** Third
** Archive :ARCHIVE:...
--end--

(Side note: what's the function for the pretty scissors begin/end
thing?)

Thanks,
gnrc

@ 2014-05-30 16:49     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-30 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNRC; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-30 18:27 GNRC wrote:
> Say I've got the following file:
> --begin--
> * Top
> ** Second
> *** Third
> ** Archive :ARCHIVE:
> *** Thing
> *** Another thing
> --end--
> I'd like to be able to put the cursor at the beginning of that top
> heading and press (e.g.) C-u C-c C-k, and have it then fold as
> this:
> --begin--
> * Top
> ** Second
> *** Third
> ** Archive :ARCHIVE:...
> --end--

I do not know how to do this with C-c C-k, but pressing TAB twice on the
level one heading works for me just as well. The subtree tagged
with :ARCHIVE: will only open when you press C-TAB.

> (Side note: what's the function for the pretty scissors begin/end
> thing?)

Do you mean `message-mark-inserted-region', bound to C-c m in gnus?

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: A version of `show-branches' that doesn't expandarchivedsubtreesss
@ 2014-05-30 18:15       ` GNRC
From: GNRC @ 2014-05-30 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Baier; +Cc: Bastien, GNRC, emacs-orgmode

Alexander Baier <alexander.baier@mailbox.org> writes:

> On 2014-05-30 18:27 GNRC wrote:
>> Say I've got the following file:
>> --begin--
>> * Top
>> ** Second
>> *** Third
>> ** Archive :ARCHIVE:
>> *** Thing
>> *** Another thing
>> --end--
>> I'd like to be able to put the cursor at the beginning of that top
>> heading and press (e.g.) C-u C-c C-k, and have it then fold as
>> this:
>> --begin--
>> * Top
>> ** Second
>> *** Third
>> ** Archive :ARCHIVE:...
>> --end--
>
> I do not know how to do this with C-c C-k, but pressing TAB twice on the
> level one heading works for me just as well. The subtree tagged
> with :ARCHIVE: will only open when you press C-TAB.
Ah, my example was incomplete:
Start with
* Top
top contents
** Second
second contents
*** Third
third contents
** Archive :ARCHIVE:
*** Thing
thing contents
*** Another thing
another thing contents
and then get to
* Top
** Second
*** Third
** Archive :ARCHIVE:...
TAB twice shows the contents. I just want to see the heading structure,
but not that which is under archived subtrees.

>> (Side note: what's the function for the pretty scissors begin/end
>> thing?)
>
> Do you mean `message-mark-inserted-region', bound to C-c m in gnus?
Yup, thanks. I'm using mu4e, so it C-c M-m, for any interested mu4e users.