Hello all, Currently, if a macro is not defined, it will silently produce an empty string while exporting. This situation could arise for example if a macro name is acidentally mistyped. I think it’s desirable to warn the user in this case. The attached patch introduces a function to do so, and shows how it would be integrated in the latex backend. This raises several questions: 1. Should the warning be a “message” (allows the export process to continue) or a “user-error” (stops the export process)? Or, should this be configurable? 2. Since this is a feature that many backends will want to use, should we introduce a new “abstract” backend from which other backends can inherit, which incorporates this feature, and others like it in the future? The idea would be similar to prog-mode in emacs, the major mode from which programming-language modes can derive. The alternative is adding the (macro . org-export-macro-warn) entry manually to all the relevant backends, and relying on future backend authors to do the same. 3. Should this even be implemented as part of the backend’s translate-alist, or at a lower level? Thanks, -- Aaron Ecay