Hi, I'm happy to finally be able to send an updated version of this patch that touches most backends in lisp/, but not the manual. I have been moving over the summer etc. You now specify unnumbered headlines with properties. I think this is better since being unnumbered it's a pretty permanent state. It's pretty hard to discover though, other than by looking at the output. So this works as expected: * Some headline :PROPERTIES: :UNNUMBERED: t :END: There's no :NUMBERED property and :UNNUMBERED is hardcoded. I introduce a new function `org-export-get-headline-id` which returns the first non-nil from the following list. There's a caveat: CUSTOM_ID is ensured to be unique! Did I open the famous can of worm? 1. The CUSTOM_ID property. 2. A relative level number if the headline is numbered. 3. The ID property 4. A new generated unique ID. Anyhow, `org-export-get-headline-id' ensures that we can refer to unnumbered headlines, which was not possible before. Of course, in LaTeX such ref to a \section* will be nonsense, so we could introduce a \pageref here. I'm unsure about whether this conflicts `org-latex-custom-id-as-label' which I had never seen until today (also notes on this in patch). I have updated backends in lisp/, but I'm at most(!) an "expert" on LaTeX. However, I have tested all backends to the best of my ability. Please feel free to test and let me know about any discrepancies! Cheers, Rasmus PS: Not knowing or caring much about md, the links generated by it to headlines seem wrong. Referring to headline 1 it only prints "1". Should it be something like "[LABEL](1)"? -- This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put