* truncate-lines for org tables, visual-line-mode for rest?
@ 2015-01-26 19:43 Vladimir Alexiev
From: Vladimir Alexiev @ 2015-01-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use visual-line-mode to wrap long lines on display.
But for org tables, wrapping makes the display very confused.
Is it possible to have truncate-lines ONLY for lines that represent tables?

* Re: truncate-lines for org tables, visual-line-mode for rest?
       [not found] <54c69920.8442e50a.0cb0.ffff9364SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN@mx.google.com>
@ 2015-01-26 19:48 ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-26 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vladimir.alexiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I solve this problem in my tables by using a table length-constraining parameter:

| my table | long-cell  |
|          | <10>       |
|          | tons of text that should be cut off at a reasonable length (just 10 chars) and not run on forever               |
|          |                                                                                                                 |

produces:

| my table | long-cell  |
|          | <10>       |
|          | tons of te |
|          |            |

       [not found] <00bb01d039a0$66f42010$34dc6030$@alexiev@ontotext.com>
@ 2015-01-26 20:24 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-01-26 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Alexiev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 21:43, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> I use visual-line-mode to wrap long lines on display.
> But for org tables, wrapping makes the display very confused.
> Is it possible to have truncate-lines ONLY for lines that represent tables?

I have the same issue.  I do have visual-line-mode bound to a key so I
can toggle this on and off easily but it would definitely be nice if I
didn't have to do anything...  however, I think it will be difficult to
automate this.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-726-gd34b80.dirty

* Re: truncate-lines for org tables, visual-line-mode for rest?
@ 2015-01-27  1:19   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-01-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tory S. Anderson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, vladimir.alexiev

How do you configure this parameter to achieve that effect?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Tory S. Anderson
<torys.anderson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I solve this problem in my tables by using a table length-constraining parameter:
>
> | my table | long-cell  |
> |          | <10>       |
> |          | tons of text that should be cut off at a reasonable length (just 10 chars) and not run on forever               |
> |          |                                                                                                                 |

> produces:
>
> | my table | long-cell  |
> |          | <10>       |
> |          | tons of te |
> |          |            |

> "Vladimir Alexiev" <vladimir.alexiev@ontotext.com> writes:
>
>> I use visual-line-mode to wrap long lines on display.
>> But for org tables, wrapping makes the display very confused.
>> Is it possible to have truncate-lines ONLY for lines that represent tables?

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: truncate-lines for org tables, visual-line-mode for rest?
@ 2017-06-04 18:14   ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2017-06-04 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode; +Cc: Vladimir Alexiev, Tory S. Anderson

Hi all

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 21:43, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:

>> I use visual-line-mode to wrap long lines on display.
>> But for org tables, wrapping makes the display very confused.
>> Is it possible to have truncate-lines ONLY for lines that represent tables?

> I have the same issue.  I do have visual-line-mode bound to a key so I
> can toggle this on and off easily but it would definitely be nice if I
> didn't have to do anything...  however, I think it will be difficult to
> automate this.

Carsten made an Emacs feature request for this here

As I am also very interested in this I commented there now. Please
help me by showing your interest there too.

Michael