Hi everyone, Since discussion seems to have petered out on the previous thread (see: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/94524), I took some time to go back over the discussion and write up a concrete proposal for citation syntax. This proposal represents my attempt to formulate a syntax that is easy to read, easy to parse, and covers all the use-cases that people mentioned as being important. It is surely not perfect, but I learned a lot from the previous thread, and I hope something like this will serve the community's needs. The proposal is below, both inline (for easy quoting) and attached (for easy reading). To keep it relatively short, I have mostly not explained my reasoning for the choices I made, but I am happy to do so here if anyone has questions. I welcome feedback, comments, criticisms, and objections on any point. However, since we've already had a long discussion about this, I respectfully request that we try to keep this thread focused. To that end, I suggest: 1) If you have criticisms or objections, please try to indicate whether you think they are `substantive' (e.g., you see a problem that would prevent you from using this syntax, or prevent Org from implementing it) or not (e.g., you would prefer a slightly different but equivalent way of expressing something). 2) If you wish to express an opinion about the proposal without offering further comments, let us know by just replying with +1 (meaning you'd like to see this syntax, or something reasonably similar to it, be adopted), 0, or -1 (meaning you'd prefer not to see this syntax or anything similar to it adopted). I guess this is my Valentine to the Org community. :) Thanks for reading! Best, Richard