* DONE repeating events become TODO, not OTHER
@ 2015-09-16 21:18 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-09-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I have repeating events of type OTHER, as in:

* OTHER Foo
  <2015-09-16 +1w>

When I have finished the task for today, I mark it done. Because it is a repeating event, it doesn't actually change to DONE, instead it changes to TODO and adds a :LAST_REPEAT: item in the :PROPERTIES: drawer.

How do I tell this specific item, or all OTHER items in general, that after completion it should remain OTHER rather than changing to TODO?

Thanks,

  -k.

* Re: DONE repeating events become TODO, not OTHER
@ 2015-09-16 21:37 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-16 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> I have repeating events of type OTHER, as in:
>
> * OTHER Foo
>   <2015-09-16 +1w>
>
> When I have finished the task for today, I mark it done. Because it is
> a repeating event, it doesn't actually change to DONE, instead it
> changes to TODO and adds a :LAST_REPEAT: item in the :PROPERTIES:
> drawer.
>
> How do I tell this specific item, or all OTHER items in general, that
> after completion it should remain OTHER rather than changing to TODO?

Do you *have* to have a TODO state? If not,

#+TODO: OTHER | DONE

should do the trick. Or you could use multiple
sets:

#+TODO: TODO INPROGRESS | DONE
#+TODO: OTHER | COMPLETED

In the latter case, the keywords all have to be different.
See

   (info "(org) TODO items")

Nick

* Re: DONE repeating events become TODO, not OTHER
@ 2015-09-16 22:21   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-09-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-09-16 at 17:37, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have repeating events of type OTHER, as in:
>>
>> * OTHER Foo
>>   <2015-09-16 +1w>
>>
>> When I have finished the task for today, I mark it done. Because it is
>> a repeating event, it doesn't actually change to DONE, instead it
>> changes to TODO and adds a :LAST_REPEAT: item in the :PROPERTIES:
>> drawer.
>>
>> How do I tell this specific item, or all OTHER items in general, that
>> after completion it should remain OTHER rather than changing to TODO?
>>

> Do you *have* to have a TODO state? If not,
>
> #+TODO: OTHER | DONE
>
> should do the trick.

Yes it does the trick. I had to switch the buffer out of and back into Org mode for it to work, but now it does.

Thank you,

@ 2015-09-17  1:30     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-09-17  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2015-09-16 at 17:37, Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have repeating events of type OTHER, as in:
>>>
>>> * OTHER Foo
>>>   <2015-09-16 +1w>
>>>
>>> When I have finished the task for today, I mark it done. Because it is
>>> a repeating event, it doesn't actually change to DONE, instead it
>>> changes to TODO and adds a :LAST_REPEAT: item in the :PROPERTIES:
>>> drawer.
>>>
>>> How do I tell this specific item, or all OTHER items in general, that
>>> after completion it should remain OTHER rather than changing to TODO?
>>>

>> Do you *have* to have a TODO state? If not,
>>
>> #+TODO: OTHER | DONE
>>
>> should do the trick.
>
> Yes it does the trick. I had to switch the buffer out of and back into Org mode for it to work, but now it does.

The easiest way to get newly added #+ lines to take effect is to C-c C-C on one of
them.

--
Nick

* Re: DONE repeating events become TODO, not OTHER
@ 2015-09-23 17:10   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2015-09-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have repeating events of type OTHER, as in:
>>
>> * OTHER Foo
>>   <2015-09-16 +1w>
>>
>> When I have finished the task for today, I mark it done. Because it is
>> a repeating event, it doesn't actually change to DONE, instead it
>> changes to TODO and adds a :LAST_REPEAT: item in the :PROPERTIES:
>> drawer.
>>
>> How do I tell this specific item, or all OTHER items in general, that
>> after completion it should remain OTHER rather than changing to TODO?
>>

> Do you *have* to have a TODO state? If not,
>
> #+TODO: OTHER | DONE
>
> should do the trick. Or you could use multiple
> sets:
>
> #+TODO: TODO INPROGRESS | DONE
> #+TODO: OTHER | COMPLETED
>
> In the latter case, the keywords all have to be different.
> See
>
>    (info "(org) TODO items")

Or after defining OTHER has a todo keyword add a property specifying
which next state you want

* OTHER Foo
  :PROPERTIES:
  :REPEAT_TO_STATE: OTHER