* Bug: Weird interaction between ox-extra and include :minlevel
@ 2018-04-12  9:26 Daniel P. Gomez
From: Daniel P. Gomez @ 2018-04-12  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

TLDR: Using ox-extras :IGNORE: tags break #+INCLUDE :minlevel.
Ideally ox-extras functionality could make it into ox.

I'm using Org Mode to structure my thesis, and one of the Org
features that I rely on the most are the #+INCLUDE derivatives.

My setup is such that I have a main thesis.org file with the
(simplified) following contents:

--
#+latexclass: thesis
#+setupfile: thesis.setup

* Chapter 1
#+INCLUDE: chap1/chapter1.org :lines "3-"

etc..
--

And I have chapter files where, e.g., the Methods section is
formatted differently whether it is included in the main body of

etc..

# For thesis, include methods directly
* Methods :thesis:
#+INCLUDE: methods.org :lines "3-"

# For paper, wrap methods into a specific control sequence and
  adjust headline levels.
* Methods :ignore:manuscript:

#+LATEX: \matmethods{
#+INCLUDE: methods.org :lines "3-" :minlevel 2
#+LATEX: }

* Insert Methods :ignore:manuscript:
#+LATEX: \showmatmethods{}
--

I don't know if this is the cleanest setup, but it works well for
me because I get to reuse my files.

Would anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Is there any
intention of bringing ox-extra functionality into main Org?
Something like #+ignore_tags would be a powerful addition for fine
grained export control, in my opinion.

Thank you

--
Daniel P. Gomez

* Re: Bug: Weird interaction between ox-extra and include :minlevel
@ 2018-04-12 13:28 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-12 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P. Gomez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

"Daniel P. Gomez" <gomez.danp@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any intention of bringing ox-extra functionality into main
> Org? Something like #+ignore_tags would be a powerful addition for
> fine grained export control, in my opinion.

IIRC, "ox-extra" was written because we could not agree on a definition
and an implementation of the ignore headline feature.

I don't know what you do mean by "something like #+ignore_tags", but you
could discuss it on this ML.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: Weird interaction between ox-extra and include :minlevel
@ 2018-04-12 14:38   ` Daniel P Gomez
From: Daniel P Gomez @ 2018-04-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I was thinking of #+ignore_tags. as an analog of #+exclude_tags. While
#+exclude_tags removes a complete subtree from export, #+ignore_tags
would only ignore headlines and insert the contents.
When used in combination, subtree would be excluded no matter what.

#+IGNORE_TAGS: ignore bar
#+EXLUDE_TAGS: noexport foo

The idea of ignore_tags, for me, would to allow grouping content
within the Org file in a manner that differs from the grouping of
content upon export - without having to resort to filter-hooks. Not
that hooks are bad, but they are harder to construct without proper
elisp skills and require knowledge about the Org API. Furthermore,
tags are excellent because they're easy to manipulate and search for.

@ 2018-04-15  7:44     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-04-15  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel P Gomez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Daniel P Gomez <gomez.danp@gmail.com> writes:

> I was thinking of #+ignore_tags. as an analog of #+exclude_tags. While
> #+exclude_tags removes a complete subtree from export, #+ignore_tags
> would only ignore headlines and insert the contents.

You may want to read the discussions about this feature on the ML.

I think "only" is not accurate. To make it clear, what would become the
following documents:

* H

Text

** H2 :ignore:

Text 2

*** H3

and

Text 0

* H :ignore:

Text

** H2

Text 2

but also

- item
* H :ignore:
- new list?

and the following convoluted one

#+begin_example

Something

* H :ignore:

Somethin else
#+end_example

> When used in combination, subtree would be excluded no matter what.
>
> #+IGNORE_TAGS: ignore bar
> #+EXLUDE_TAGS: noexport foo

I'm not sure to understand this.

> The idea of ignore_tags, for me, would to allow grouping content
> within the Org file in a manner that differs from the grouping of
> content upon export - without having to resort to filter-hooks. Not
> that hooks are bad, but they are harder to construct without proper
> elisp skills and require knowledge about the Org API.

The manual gives one example of one such hook, see (info "(org) Advanced
configuration"). There, the filter /only/ removes headlines.

Nicolas Goaziou