* Manual does not mention LEVEL special property
@ 2019-04-14 14:34 Omari Norman
From: Omari Norman @ 2019-04-14 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The Org mode manual does not mention the LEVEL special property; can you
please add it?

https://orgmode.org/manual/Special-properties.html

Thanks for all your work on Org mode!  --Omari

* Re: Manual does not mention LEVEL special property
@ 2019-04-15 15:41 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-04-15 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omari Norman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Omari Norman <omari@smileystation.com> writes:

> The Org mode manual does not mention the LEVEL special property; can you
> please add it?
>
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Special-properties.html

I don't think LEVEL is a special property. Why do you think it should be
one?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Manual does not mention LEVEL special property
@ 2019-04-15 18:23   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-04-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Omari Norman <omari@smileystation.com> writes:
>
>> The Org mode manual does not mention the LEVEL special property; can you
>> please add it?
>>
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Special-properties.html
>
> I don't think LEVEL is a special property. Why do you think it should be
> one?

The "Matching tags and properties" section seems to imply that:

,----
| You may also test for properties (see Properties and Columns) at the
| same time as matching tags. The properties may be real properties, or
| special properties that represent other metadata (see Special
| Properties). For example, the property ‘TODO’ represents the TODO
| keyword of the entry. Or, the property ‘LEVEL’ represents the level of
| an entry. So searching ‘+LEVEL=3+boss-TODO​="DONE"’ lists all level
| three headlines that have the tag ‘boss’ and are not marked with the
| TODO keyword ‘DONE’. In buffers with org-odd-levels-only set, ‘LEVEL’
| does not count the number of stars, but ‘LEVEL=2’ corresponds to 3
| stars etc.
`----

AFAIU, special properties are properties of a headline, even though
the user has not defined them (indeed, *should not* define them) in a
properties drawer. If that's so, I think LEVEL qualifies as a special
property.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler