From: Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: ANN: org-ql agenda block support
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 09:32:49 -0500	[thread overview]

> i was merely trying to get a sense of the degree to which it is a
> drop-in replacement (which i think you have said it is not).

Right, it doesn't do everything Org Agenda does.  Since Org Agenda does
also serve as a kind of "search view," org-ql can largely serve as a
replacement for that aspect of it, providing several advantages.  But it
doesn't implement the daily/weekly-style agenda view, so it doesn't
replace that part of it.

I'll probably refactor and rename it soon, removing "agenda" from the
name to reduce confusion.  In the future I may work on an a
daily/weekly-style view as well, which might again be called
org-ql-agenda.

> the question is whether the display can be made similar enough to a
> highly customized traditional agenda so that diff of the agenda buffer
> can find any bugs in either traditional or ql agenda.

In some cases, perhaps, but while I do want to add more features from
Org Agenda, my goal isn't necessarily to reproduce it in every aspect.

> respecting things like org-agenda-inactive-leader will reduce the need
> to munge in order to make them similar enough.  not a big deal.

That's an interesting feature.  If I do support it in the future, it
will probably come after implementing a more complex Agenda-like view
that will be quite different from Org Agenda.

> adding text properties like the agenda does is great for that too as a
> lot of user code likely uses them.  so that will stop actual breakage.

Yes, with respect to text properties, I do intend to copy what Org
Agenda does, for the most part.

Thanks for your feedback.