* Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-08 14:12 Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-10-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I use emacsclient (with Konsole tabs, if that matters). I usually have
several  emacsclient instances open in different tabs. When I start a clock
and then get away long enough, Emacs will prompt me to resolve the idle
time in different buffer that has the clock, usually in the first buffer
that I get back to. But often I cannot type a response in this buffer, or
in the original buffer's tab, so that I have to "killall emacsclient" and
reopen all the files/emacsclient instances.

Anyone experience the same?

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-08 14:54 ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2020-10-08 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman, Org-mode

Budiman Snowman <budimansnowman@gmail.com> writes:

> several  emacsclient instances open in different tabs. When I start a clock
> and then get away long enough, Emacs will prompt me to resolve the idle
> time in different buffer that has the clock, usually in the first buffer
> that I get back to.
[...]

> Anyone experience the same?

I do :-).

I generally open emacs in my graphical session and when I am AFK, I
connect using ssh in termux on my computer and play with emacs via an
emacsclient in the terminal.

Also, another boring behavior of org-resolve-clocks is that I generally
have to press several times (about ten times) on the "i" key to ignore
the message.

Actually, I realized though that even though the client was appearing
frozen, by pressing several times on "i" (ten times also), it eventually
closes the resolve clock stuff and let me play with emacs like nothing
happened. Then, I can run manually M-x org-resolve-clocks in case I
wanted to really resolve the clocks (using k or g or whathever).

Even if this is an ugly workaround, I Hope that will help :-).
--
Konubinix
GPG Key    : 7439106A

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-08 15:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-08 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman; +Cc: Org-mode

On Thursday,  8 Oct 2020 at 21:12, Budiman Snowman wrote:
> Anyone experience the same?

Yes, sporadically.  I use multiple tabs and multiple frames and
sometimes the prompt for the long idle clock is not visible...  I cannot
repeat it consistently, mind you.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-38-g16f505

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-08 15:30   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-10-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: Budiman Snowman, Org-mode

On Thursday,  8 Oct 2020 at 16:54, Samuel Loury wrote:
> Also, another boring behavior of org-resolve-clocks is that I generally
> have to press several times (about ten times) on the "i" key to ignore
> the message.

Similar with the 'q' key (usually requires 2-3 presses) although not
with 'k' (single press sufficient always).

--

@ 2020-10-09  1:08   ` Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-10-09  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: Org-mode

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 9:54 PM Samuel Loury <konubinix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Actually, I realized though that even though the client was appearing
> frozen, by pressing several times on "i" (ten times also), it eventually
> closes the resolve clock stuff and let me play with emacs like nothing
> happened. Then, I can run manually M-x org-resolve-clocks in case I
> wanted to really resolve the clocks (using k or g or whathever).
>
> Even if this is an ugly workaround, I Hope that will help :-).

Thanks for the tip, I'll try pressing 10 times the next time it happens
(which is probably today).

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-09  1:09     ` Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-10-09  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury, Budiman Snowman, Org-mode

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday,  8 Oct 2020 at 16:54, Samuel Loury wrote:
> > Also, another boring behavior of org-resolve-clocks is that I generally
> > have to press several times (about ten times) on the "i" key to ignore
> > the message.
>
> Similar with the 'q' key (usually requires 2-3 presses) although not
> with 'k' (single press sufficient always).

I almost always choose 'k' (keep) and it is often not responding after the
first or several presses. But as Samuel Loury pointed out, I'll try
pressing ten times at least, the next time it happens.

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-09  2:34     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-10-09  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman, Samuel Loury; +Cc: Org-mode

> Thanks for the tip, I'll try pressing 10 times the next time it happens
> (which is probably today).

That sounds really odd. Could it be that there are multiple open
(without ending time) clocks existing in your org files?

Best,
Ihor

@ 2020-10-09 11:40       ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2020-10-09 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman, Budiman Snowman, Org-mode

Budiman Snowman <budimansnowman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 10:30 PM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday,  8 Oct 2020 at 16:54, Samuel Loury wrote:
>> > Also, another boring behavior of org-resolve-clocks is that I generally
>> > have to press several times (about ten times) on the "i" key to ignore
>> > the message.
>>
>> Similar with the 'q' key (usually requires 2-3 presses) although not
>> with 'k' (single press sufficient always).
>>

> I almost always choose 'k' (keep) and it is often not responding after the
> first or several presses. But as Samuel Loury pointed out, I'll try
> pressing ten times at least, the next time it happens.

IIRC, pressing 'k', even a lot, did not work. I realized that i might be
linked to the fact that 'k' asks for some minibuffer input and this
input is waited in the other frame. And when emacs is waiting for some
minibuffer input in one frame, there is nothing I could do to get the
control on the other frame.¹

What I am suggesting is to press a lot 'i', until org-mode releases its
grasp on the other frame. You notice that it is so when the letter 'i'
gets written in front of you :-). Then, when org-mode let you go, you
can run M-x org-resolve-clocks and you will be able to press 'k' this
time.

I hope this is clearer this time.

Good luck :-).

¹ Actually, there is one way. Send the SIGUSR2 signal to emacs (pkill
  -SIGUSR2 emacs) so that it starts the debugger (in your current focused
  frame), then close the debugger and re run manually M-x
  org-resolve-clocks. SIGUSR2 would have enabled the debug-on-quit, so
  disable it with M-x toggle-debug-on-quit
--

@ 2020-10-09 11:42       ` Samuel Loury
From: Samuel Loury @ 2020-10-09 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, Budiman Snowman; +Cc: Org-mode

>> Thanks for the tip, I'll try pressing 10 times the next time it happens
>> (which is probably today).
>
> That sounds really odd. Could it be that there are multiple open
> (without ending time) clocks existing in your org files?

In my case, I am pretty sure to have only one clock open at most. The
clock report don't show any unfinished clock or any overlapping ones
and org-resolve-clock does not find any other unfinished clock other
than the one I am into.

--

@ 2020-10-11 12:53       ` Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-10-11 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org-mode, Samuel Loury

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 9:35 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the tip, I'll try pressing 10 times the next time it happens
> > (which is probably today).
>
> That sounds really odd. Could it be that there are multiple open
> (without ending time) clocks existing in your org files?

I never have multiple clocks active either, as I only have one "work
journal" file and only start one clock for the current day's entry.

* Re: Annoyance when resolving clock idle time with emacsclient
@ 2020-10-11 12:55         ` Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-10-11 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Loury; +Cc: Org-mode