Hi Tim, > I observe the same behaviour. My kids (27, 24) both have email accounts, > but only have them and use them for places which insist on an email > address (like government services, universities etc). They use email > only when they have to and check it only when they are expecting a > message. For them, it is IM services (even there, the ones used will > also depend on your age within the <30 - seems to be a trend from FB > messenger, snapchat, discord, whatsapp, tiktok - and even there FB > messenger is probably just to IM with their parents!). From their > perspective, FB is what their parents use and email is what their > grandparents use! No way will they use a mail list. > > Of course there are exceptions. You will likely find more young people > who use Emacs and org will also use email more, but I don’t know if that > is because the types of people attracted to Emacs and org mode are also > the types of people more attracted to email for comms. > > These days, when I want interactive chat, I actually prefer to go with > real chat rather than text based chat. There are so many choices for > voice chat these days, you may as well have real interaction and just > talk! This is where the technology really blows my mind now. A little > while ago, I was collaborating with someone where we were talking using > a voice chat app. It was a bug squashing collaboration where we worked > through a bunch of bugs together and got a heap fixed in a 2 hours > intensive session. I was in Australia and they were in South America AND > travelling on a bus! While there was a couple of instances where we lost > voice comms briefly, it was remarkably successful and it still blows my > mind that I was live coding with someone half way around the world, > travelling on a bus while we coded and chatted in real time! 30 years > ago, we would both need to be in stable locations with land-lines and > IRC would be the most interaction we could hope for - voice definitely > not! I find that very interesting to hear. It reminds me that the bcachefs matrix room (which I hang out in),which has a Jitsi widget. Over there it seems that occasionally the lead developer and the main other contributor seem to hang out there while working on the project. Doing something similar for Org development is an interesting idea. Something similar probably could be set up with the Org room, or a dedicated Org-dev room (I’m aware of Bastien’s thoughts on wanting development and help to not be separated, but while I like the idea of them living in the same space, I’m personally a big fan of categorisation. For instance, we could make an org-mode space with a few different rooms: org-dev, org-help, org-showcase, org-chat, etc.). With regards to accessibility, I think Matrix is also reaching a rather good point. The current state of affairs includes an Emacs client, a host of dedicated apps, in-browser web clients, and more. While the ability to peruse archives has not yet been developed, it is also possible to copy a link to a particular message, and so a conversation can be transferred from Matrix to the ML with a link to the initial conversation, e.g. All the best, Timothy