* It's possible, to translate the org-mode website into Spanish?
@ 2023-01-25 10:03 Antonio Simón
From: Antonio Simón @ 2023-01-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings from Spain.

I'm a newbie in the FOSS world and a big fan of Emacs and org-mode in
which I'm taking my first steps.

I have seen that the Org mode page <https://orgmode.org/index.html> is
available in several languages, and Spanish is not one of them.

I was thinking of contributing my time to the project by developing the
Spanish version of the site, if you find it useful.

If you accept this collaboration I would need a small list of the tools
and procedures to use, to ensure that I'm competent with them.

Thank you for your patience, I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

_______________________
/*Antonio Simón (Quijote)*/

* orgmode website contributions to translations? -- Was: It's possible, to translate the org-mode website into Spanish?
@ 2023-01-25 11:36 ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-01-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Simón; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Antonio Simón <asim@posteo.net> writes:

> Greetings from Spain.
>
> I'm a newbie in the FOSS world and a big fan of Emacs and org-mode in which I'm taking my first steps.
>
> I have seen that the Org mode page is available in several languages, and Spanish is not one of them.
>
> I was thinking of contributing my time to the project by developing the Spanish version of the site, if you find it useful.
>
> If you accept this collaboration I would need a small list of the tools and procedures to use, to ensure that I'm competent with them.
>
> Thank you for your patience, I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Regards,
>
> _______________________
> Antonio Simón (Quijote)

This intrigues me as well.  I would like to extend this question into a
more general one: how does one contribute translations to an existing
language, and/or to a new language?

Also, two small nitpicks:

1. The Japanese version has the following lines that are not translated:

> Install via GNU ELPA: M-x package-install RET org RET
> Download: git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git
> Bug reports: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Org project: https://sr.ht/~bzg/org

2. The English version does not have the equivalent snippet above.

Best,

RY

* Re: orgmode website contributions to translations? -- Was: It's possible, to translate the org-mode website into Spanish?
@ 2023-01-25 12:06   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu, Bastien; +Cc: Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> This intrigues me as well.  I would like to extend this question into a
> more general one: how does one contribute translations to an existing
> language, and/or to a new language?

CCing Bastien.

The main issue with non-English translations is maintenance. As you
noticed, English and non-English pages are already out of sync.

We need some better way to maintain translations. For example, we may
maintain a checksum of the translation vs. original English version
per-paragraph or per-section. Then, we can automate export for
non-English pages that will only use the translations that correspond to
the originally translated paragraphs and fall back to English otherwise.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-03-23 17:50     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2023-03-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Ruijie Yu, Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

> The main issue with non-English translations is maintenance. As you
> noticed, English and non-English pages are already out of sync.

Anyone willing to help with orgmode.org website can get access to the
https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb repository and help with translations too.

Just let me know!   And thanks in advance.

--
 Bastien Guerry

@ 2023-03-24  4:15       ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-03-24  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> The main issue with non-English translations is maintenance. As you
>> noticed, English and non-English pages are already out of sync.
>
> Anyone willing to help with orgmode.org website can get access to the
> https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb repository and help with translations too.
>
> Just let me know!   And thanks in advance.

I can help translate to zh_CN occasionally, seeing that the repo is not
updated too frequently.  Although I might need some pointers on how to
start a new translation, and how sourcehut works. :)

Also, does this need a copyright assignment?  FTR, I am still waiting
for a counter-signature from FSF on Emacs.

--

@ 2023-03-24 12:07         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-24 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

Ruijie Yu <ruijie@netyu.xyz> writes:

> I can help translate to zh_CN occasionally, seeing that the repo is not
> updated too frequently.  Although I might need some pointers on how to
> start a new translation, and how sourcehut works. :)

Just clone the repo from https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb and send patches
to this mailing list as usual. See
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

> Also, does this need a copyright assignment?  FTR, I am still waiting
> for a counter-signature from FSF on Emacs.

AFAIK, yes. For the official Org page (not WORG), we require FSF
copyright assignment.

Note that FSF should usually reply within 5 working days. If not, you
follow up once, wait another 5 working days, and then let us know - we
can push them stronger.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

@ 2023-03-24 14:26           ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-03-24 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

> Ruijie Yu <ruijie@netyu.xyz> writes:
>
>> I can help translate to zh_CN occasionally, seeing that the repo is not
>> updated too frequently.  Although I might need some pointers on how to
>> start a new translation, and how sourcehut works. :)
>
> Just clone the repo from https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb and send patches
> to this mailing list as usual. See
> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
>
>> Also, does this need a copyright assignment?  FTR, I am still waiting
>> for a counter-signature from FSF on Emacs.
>
> AFAIK, yes. For the official Org page (not WORG), we require FSF
> copyright assignment.
>
> Note that FSF should usually reply within 5 working days. If not, you
> follow up once, wait another 5 working days, and then let us know - we
> can push them stronger.

Thanks, now I have cloned the repo locally.

While reading the files, there is one immediate issue I have found: on
current orgweb master (feed1160), line 153 of /index.org has a broken
link on how to contribute to worg.  Similarly, /ja/index.org has the
same broken link, whereas /fr/index.org has a different paragraph in its
place so no broken links there.

--

@ 2023-03-26  8:47             ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: Bastien Guerry, Antonio Simón, emacs-orgmode

Ruijie Yu <ruijie@netyu.xyz> writes:

> While reading the files, there is one immediate issue I have found: on
> current orgweb master (feed1160), line 153 of /index.org has a broken
> link on how to contribute to worg.  Similarly, /ja/index.org has the
> same broken link, whereas /fr/index.org has a different paragraph in its
> place so no broken links there.

Thanks for letting us know!
I fixed the links:
https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/orgweb/commit/af32f764ec777ec44d5a876e0ad4682d945d5dcf

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: It's possible, to translate the org-mode website into Spanish?
@ 2023-05-11 11:41 ` Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode.
From: Ruijie Yu via General discussions about Org-mode. @ 2023-05-11 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antonio Simón; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Antonio Simón <asim@posteo.net> writes:

> Greetings from Spain.
>
> I'm a newbie in the FOSS world and a big fan of Emacs and org-mode in which I'm taking my first steps.
>
> I have seen that the Org mode page is available in several languages, and Spanish is not one of them.
>
> I was thinking of contributing my time to the project by developing the Spanish version of the site, if you find it useful.
>
> If you accept this collaboration I would need a small list of the tools and procedures to use, to ensure that I'm competent with them.
>
> Thank you for your patience, I look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Regards,
>
> _______________________
> Antonio Simón (Quijote)

Hi Antonio,

Since your initial message in January, are you still interested in
contributing a new translation to orgweb?

Assuming you still are interested, you can take the skeleton of my
(which is, admittedly, stalled due to lack of time) translation on
zh-CN, and go from there.  If you don't know where it is, I'll dig up a
url for you.

The workflow I used for zh-CN translation was
(1): first make a single mega-copy+symlink commit
(2): translate the org files one-by-one

This way reviewers don't need to go back and forth between two files and
"diff with naked eyes".

You can also choose to start small and only translate the main site at
first -- in fact, no translations except mine covers all
(reasonably-sized) pages of orgweb.

I believe either Ihor or Bastien mentioned somewhere that you need to
finish the FSF copyright assignment for the translation work as well.
I don't know who to ask on orgmode ML, but someone should be able to get
you started if you express interest in the translation work.

In any case, let the list know if you encounter any problems -- someone
should be able to resolve them should any comes up.

--
Best,

RY