* Re: [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-05-23 10:59 Payas Relekar
From: Payas Relekar @ 2023-05-23 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Lazzarini; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

Andrea Lazzarini <andrea.lazzarini1@gmail.com> writes:

> I've fiddled with org-edit-special and I see it has a major flaw, at least in my opinion.
> It inserts all changes without keeping track of the undos, as opposed to the indirect
> buffer solution, which also had the advantage of doing everything from a single buffer:
> it operates as some sort of 'window' on a part of the file, rather than feeling as some
> sort of out-of-the-normal operation. Aren't there other possibile use cases for indirect
> buffers in org mode? Why are they considered inferior to other solutions? I ask just
> for my understanding.
>
> (A combination of eldoc + org-edit-special might be rather affecting on the
> seamlessness of the workflow, but this is of course my simple personal opinion).

I've been playing with org-footnote-assistance, and this is again just
another opinion, but I'm also preferring the indirect buffer. It just
puts things in better perspective.

* [FR] Enhancing footnote managment (via indirect buffer)?
@ 2023-05-22  9:30 Andrea Lazzarini
From: Andrea Lazzarini @ 2023-05-22  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am writing to you because I have recently published a simple package called
org-footnote-assistant [https://github.com/lazzalazza/org-footnote-assistant],
which aims at improving the overall functionality and user experience of footnotes
within Org Mode.

The current management of footnotes has certain limitations that can sometimes
hinder the overall user experience. One major limitation is the limited inline
viewing of footnotes, which makes it challenging to review and modify footnote
content precisely and without disrupting the workflow.

Org-footnote-assistant addresses the limitations of inline viewing of footnotes
by using an indirect buffer.The package also provides commands for easy
navigation between footnote references, enabling quick jumps to the next or
previous reference.

On Reddit I have been encouraged to seek your feedback and explore the
possibility of integrating some of these features upstream to prevent bitrot and
ensure wider accessibility, and I am of course open to any suggestion or input.

Best,

Andrea Lazzarini
GitHub: lazzalazza