* no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 12:53 Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-10-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

 I get this "error/warning" most of the time when trying to clock out.

 This is how my task looks like:

** DONE [#A] my task
   SCHEDULED: <2007-10-03 Wed>
   CLOCK: [2007-10-03 Wed 10:36]
   [2007-10-02 Tue]

Any idea why this happens ?

Cheers,
Cezar

* Re: no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 16:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-03 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

>  I get this "error/warning" most of the time when trying to clock out.

What error/warning message exactly?

In what context are you clocking in/out? Did you insert an empty log
when clocking out?

I guess we need a bit more of context :)

--
Bastien

* Re: no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 16:29   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-03 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>
>>  I get this "error/warning" most of the time when trying to clock out.
>
> What error/warning message exactly?

My guess would be the text in the subject line: "no running clock"

* Re: no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 16:30   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-03 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2007-10-03 18:25     ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-10-03 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:
>>
>>>  I get this "error/warning" most of the time when trying to clock out.
>>
>> What error/warning message exactly?
>>

> My guess would be the text in the subject line: "no running clock"

You are right ! :)

* Re: no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 19:26 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-10-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

> Hello,
>
>  I get this "error/warning" most of the time when trying to clock out.
>
>  This is how my task looks like:
>
> ** DONE [#A] my task
>    SCHEDULED: <2007-10-03 Wed>
>    CLOCK: [2007-10-03 Wed 10:36]
>    [2007-10-02 Tue]
>

> Any idea why this happens ?
>
> Cheers,
> Cezar

Are you exiting Emacs while the clock is started, then restarting
Emacs, and attempting to clock out of an item?  I have seen your error
message when I do that.

In short, AFAIK, you can't do that.  Emacs has to be running all along
to use the clock-in and clock-out features.

Dave

* Re: Re: no running clock
@ 2007-10-03 20:44   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

>> Any idea why this happens ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Cezar
>
> Are you exiting Emacs while the clock is started, then restarting
> Emacs, and attempting to clock out of an item? I have seen your error
> message when I do that.

If you try to kill a buffer with a running clock, Org asks you whether
you want to clock out.

If you're not in the buffer where the clock runs, you are still able to
see whether a clock is running: the clocked heading is displayed in the
mode-line.

If you still want to check for a running clock before closing Emacs, you
could perhaps do this:

(defun org-check-running-clock-any-buffer ()
  "Check if any Org buffer contains a running clock.
If yes, offer to stop it and to save the buffer with the changes."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (marker-buffer org-clock-marker))
	(wcf (current-window-configuration)))
    (when
	(and buf
	     (y-or-n-p
	      (format "Clock-out in buffer %s before killing it? " buf)))
      (switch-to-buffer buf)
      (org-clock-out)
      (when (y-or-n-p "Save changed buffer? ")
	(save-buffer))
      (set-window-configuration wcf))))

(defadvice save-buffers-kill-emacs
  (before org-check-running-clock activate)
  "Check for a running clock before quitting."

@ 2007-10-04  6:20     ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-10-04  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> Are you exiting Emacs while the clock is started, then restarting
>> Emacs, and attempting to clock out of an item? I have seen your error
>> message when I do that.
>
> If you try to kill a buffer with a running clock, Org asks you whether
> you want to clock out.
>
> If you're not in the buffer where the clock runs, you are still able to
> see whether a clock is running: the clocked heading is displayed in the
> mode-line.
>
> If you still want to check for a running clock before closing Emacs, you
> could perhaps do this:

Yeah I think I sometimes quit my emacs and start it again, or maybe kill
the org buffer. I just thought it parses the entire .org file looking
for a started clock with no clock out. I guess I was wrong :D

Thanks again !
Cezar