* Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-30 18:01 Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-30 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

A quick question. Sometimes during the day, when my effort is flagging,
I like to see all items that have an effort of, say, < 0:10, so I can do
a bunch of quick tasks in succession. When I apply the agenda filter ( /
< 0:10 ), however, the resulting list includes all items that do not have a
defined effort. Would it be possible to create an option to exclude
items where effort is nil from the filtered list?

I had a quick look at org-agenda-compare-effort in org-agenda.el (line
4734), and if I'm reading the function correctly, it gives items without
a defined effort the value of 0. Is this correct?

Best,
Matt

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-30 18:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:01 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> A quick question. Sometimes during the day, when my effort is
> flagging,
> I like to see all items that have an effort of, say, < 0:10, so I
> can do
> a bunch of quick tasks in succession. When I apply the agenda filter
> ( /
> < 0:10 ), however, the resulting list includes all items that do not
> have a
> defined effort. Would it be possible to create an option to exclude
> items where effort is nil from the filtered list?
>
> I had a quick look at org-agenda-compare-effort in org-agenda.el (line
> 4734), and if I'm reading the function correctly, it gives items
> without
> a defined effort the value of 0. Is this correct?

Correct.

I guess we could define a variable to put a different default or so.
Or we could apply org-sort-agenda-noeffort-is-high also in this case
and supply a large number instead of 0.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-30 18:57 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-03-30 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Org Mode List

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> A quick question. Sometimes during the day, when my effort is flagging,
> I like to see all items that have an effort of, say, < 0:10, so I can do
> a bunch of quick tasks in succession. When I apply the agenda filter ( /
> < 0:10 ), however, the resulting list includes all items that do not have a
> defined effort. Would it be possible to create an option to exclude
> items where effort is nil from the filtered list?
>
> I had a quick look at org-agenda-compare-effort in org-agenda.el (line
> 4734), and if I'm reading the function correctly, it gives items without
> a defined effort the value of 0. Is this correct?

Take a look at org-sort-agenda-noeffort-is-high - it should be t by default
which should do what you want, but maybe you have changed it?

Nick

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-30 19:20   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-03-30 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>

> > A quick question. Sometimes during the day, when my effort is flagging,
> > I like to see all items that have an effort of, say, < 0:10, so I can do
> > a bunch of quick tasks in succession. When I apply the agenda filter ( /
> > < 0:10 ), however, the resulting list includes all items that do not have a
> > defined effort. Would it be possible to create an option to exclude
> > items where effort is nil from the filtered list?
> >
> > I had a quick look at org-agenda-compare-effort in org-agenda.el (line
> > 4734), and if I'm reading the function correctly, it gives items without
> > a defined effort the value of 0. Is this correct?
> >
> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Take a look at org-sort-agenda-noeffort-is-high - it should be t by default
> which should do what you want, but maybe you have changed it?
>
> Nick

Never mind !-) I should have waited for Carsten's mail, then I wouldn't have
to get foot out of mouth...

Nick

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-30 20:37   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-03-30 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 8:01 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>

>> A quick question. Sometimes during the day, when my effort is
>> flagging,
>> I like to see all items that have an effort of, say, < 0:10, so I
>> can do
>> a bunch of quick tasks in succession. When I apply the agenda filter
>> ( /
>> < 0:10 ), however, the resulting list includes all items that do not
>> have a
>> defined effort. Would it be possible to create an option to exclude
>> items where effort is nil from the filtered list?
>>
>> I had a quick look at org-agenda-compare-effort in org-agenda.el (line
>> 4734), and if I'm reading the function correctly, it gives items
>> without
>> a defined effort the value of 0. Is this correct?
>
> Correct.
>
> I guess we could define a variable to put a different default or so.
> Or we could apply org-sort-agenda-noeffort-is-high also in this case
> and supply a large number instead of 0.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think I changed that behaviour originally in commit dc43885

I was looking for a way to select tasks with no effort so I could define
an effort before working on them.

I'd like to retain the ability to find tasks with no effort easily.
There's probably a better solution that the one I came up with.

-Bernt

commit dc438851021ba340bbff3462671e2b142ff6bdbf
Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 11 06:56:32 2008 +0100

    Treat no effort defined as 0 minutes.

    Bernt Hanses writes:

    This changes the default value for Effort during agenda filtering so
    that an undefined Effort value is treated as 0 instead of nil.  Tasks
    with no effort defined now return zero effort when selecting tasks for
    the filter.

    There was effectively no way to select 'tasks with no effort defined'
    using the agenda effort filter.  The '<' operator is interpreted as
    '<=' and the default effort selection defined in
    org-agenda-filter-by-tag starts with zero ("0 0:10 ...") so this
    change just treats tasks with no effort defined the same as tasks with
    an effort of 0.

    This allows fast selection of NEXT tasks with no effort defined.
    Column view with follow-mode active in the agenda is great for quickly
    filling in the agenda estimated effort values for tasks.  Just display
    your Next tasks, then / 0 to select tasks with no effort and enter
    column mode (C-c C-x C-c) and fill in your effort values with the
    quick keys (0-9) for all of the tasks that have blanks in the effort
    column.

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-31 11:38     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-31 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> I think I changed that behaviour originally in commit dc43885
>
> I was looking for a way to select tasks with no effort so I could
> define
> an effort before working on them.
>
> I'd like to retain the ability to find tasks with no effort easily.
> There's probably a better solution that the one I came up with.
>
> -Bernt

Are you doing this now using filtering for effort, or a property
search for Effort?

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-31 12:18       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-03-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>
>> I was looking for a way to select tasks with no effort so I could
>> define
>> an effort before working on them.
>>
>> I'd like to retain the ability to find tasks with no effort easily.
>> There's probably a better solution that the one I came up with.
>
> Are you doing this now using filtering for effort, or a property
> search for Effort?

I'm using filtering for effort.

I'm doing this from the agenda currently - getting a list of todo tasks,
limiting to tasks with tag NEXT and then further limiting it to effort
times <0 using the standard agenda effort filter

          List of all TODO entries (excluding dated items)
         /   Limit to NEXT tagged tasks
        /   /     Limit to effort <= 0
       /   /     /
C-c a t / N / + 1

-Bernt

@ 2009-03-31 13:20         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-31 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>>
>>> I was looking for a way to select tasks with no effort so I could
>>> define
>>> an effort before working on them.
>>>
>>> I'd like to retain the ability to find tasks with no effort easily.
>>> There's probably a better solution that the one I came up with.
>>
>> Are you doing this now using filtering for effort, or a property
>> search for Effort?
>
> I'm using filtering for effort.
>
> I'm doing this from the agenda currently - getting a list of todo
> tasks,
> limiting to tasks with tag NEXT and then further limiting it to effort
> times <0 using the standard agenda effort filter
>

>          List of all TODO entries (excluding dated items)
>         /   Limit to NEXT tagged tasks
>        /   /     Limit to effort <= 0
>       /   /     /
> C-c a t / N / + 1

You are now using "1" and have your first effort etimate set to zero
minutes.
I guess we could make "0" a special selection, not for the 10th effort
step, but for no effort defined.  Would that make sense?

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-31 13:22           ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-03-31 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

> On Mar 31, 2009, at 2:18 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>>>
>>          List of all TODO entries (excluding dated items)
>>         /   Limit to NEXT tagged tasks
>>        /   /     Limit to effort <= 0
>>       /   /     /
>> C-c a t / N / + 1
>
> You are now using "1" and have your first effort etimate set to zero
> minutes.
> I guess we could make "0" a special selection, not for the 10th effort
> step, but for no effort defined.  Would that make sense?

Sounds good to me.  I still hit '0' instead of '1' by mistake sometimes
... and end up with everything < 8 hours :) I did that just this
morning.

-Bernt

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-31 18:12             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Mar 31, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>>         List of all TODO entries (excluding dated items)
>>>        /   Limit to NEXT tagged tasks
>>>       /   /     Limit to effort <= 0
>>>      /   /     /
>>> C-c a t / N / + 1
>>
>> You are now using "1" and have your first effort etimate set to zero
>> minutes.
>> I guess we could make "0" a special selection, not for the 10th
>> effort
>> step, but for no effort defined.  Would that make sense?
>
> Sounds good to me.  I still hit '0' instead of '1' by mistake
> sometimes
> ... and end up with everything < 8 hours :) I did that just this
> morning.

I ended up introducing a new operator "?" for this special purpose.
So now, please filter

  C-c a t / N / + ?

The comparing operators <, >, and = now all treat tasks without effort
according to the setting in `org-sort-agenda-noeffort-means-high', as
0 or 32767 minutes, respectively.

Matt, is that acceptable also for you, or do you want an option to
actually
totally ignore entries without an effort defined?

Thanks to both of you, for the input.

- Carsten

* Re: Filtering for effort in org-agenda
@ 2009-03-31 22:05               ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-31 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Org Mode List

> I ended up introducing a new operator "?" for this special purpose.
> So now, please filter
>
>  C-c a t / N / + ?
>
> The comparing operators <, >, and = now all treat tasks without effort
> according to the setting in `org-sort-agenda-noeffort-means-high', as 0
> or 32767 minutes, respectively.
>
> Matt, is that acceptable also for you, or do you want an option to
> actually totally ignore entries without an effort defined?

This is great. If I want to ignore entries without an effort
defined, I can just filter with "- ?".

I've also gone ahead and set org-sort-agenda-noeffort-means-high to t,
which accomplishes precisely the behavior I was looking for.

Thanks!

Matt