From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: "Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu>
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: org-auto-repeat-maybe only updates first timestamp [7.01trans]
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:29:05 -0400	[thread overview]

"Andrew J. Korty" <ajk@iu.edu> writes:

> Andrew J. Korty <ajk@iu.edu> wrote:

>> task to > > DEADLINE: <2010-09-19 Sun ++1w -2d>
>> before
>> > it's due.
>>
>> Right, but then it will show up in tags-todo lists before I want it
>> to.  An example is renewing my driver's license, for which I could
>> use
>>
>>     DEADLINE: <2011-10-12 Wed ++4y -2w>
>>
>> but it would show up in tags-todo lists way before it would make
>> sense to renew.  Although I suppose I could set
>> org-agenda-ignore-deadlines to 'all and just rely on the
>> daily/weekly agenda to show them to me ...
>
> Oops, frobbing org-agenda-ignore-deadlines won't help.  It works in
> the case of driver's license renewal, but it breaks a different case.
> Say I've been asked to review a document by October 31.  So I set a
> deadline of 2010-12-31.  But I do want to see it on my tags-todo list
> now because if I had time now, I could review the documents and submit
> my comments well before the deadline.

I assume you mean org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines. In this particular
case you could set that variable to 'far, which causes deadlines to be
displayed only when they fall within the lead time specified in
org-agenda-warning days or (as in the example above) in the timestamp
itself.

Here's an example:

* TODO Review really important document
  DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun -2m>
* TODO Review less important document
  DEADLINE: <2010-10-31 Sun>

Let's assume the following settings:

(setq org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'far
      org-deadline-warning-days 14)

With these settings, the first task would show up *today* both in your
agenda and in your TODO list, while the second task would appear in both
places two weeks before the deadline.

That said, I sometimes set both a scheduled and deadline timestamp to
create an extra reminder/safety net, so the original bug you reported is
certainly an issue.

Best,
Matt