* Fold "preamble/options" under first header
@ 2010-09-29 22:19 John Hendy
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-29 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to "fold" the preamble (#+latex_header, #+options, etc.)
under a first header? Mine get rather long, especially for Beamer documents.

I just attempted it and it appears to work, but I wanted to know if anyone
else has tried this and succeeded or if there are any things to watch out
for.

Currently I have:

-------
* Preamble                        :noexport:
#+latex_class: beamer
#+author: John Hendy
#+date: \today
#+startup: beamer
#+latex_class_options: [presentation]
#+beamer_frame_level: 2
#+beamer_header_extra: \usetheme{default}

#+latex_header: \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{xcolor}
#+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz,ifthen}
#+latex_header: \usetikzlibrary{decorations,arrows,automata,positioning}

#+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
#+latex_header: \setstretch{1.3}

#+latex_header: \usepackage{MinionPro}
#+latex_header: \renewcommand{\sfdefault{Myriad-LF}}

\AtBeginSection[]{
\begin{frame}<beamer>
\frametitle{Outline}
\tableofcontents[currentsection]
\end{frame}}

#+title: Title

* First actual heading...
----------

The output looks fine... are there any foreseeable issues with this?

John

* Re: Fold "preamble/options" under first header
@ 2010-09-30  4:45 ` Juan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Juan @ 2010-09-30  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

From documentation on exporting:

  The exporter recognizes special lines in the buffer which provide
  additional information.  These lines may be put anywhere in the file.

There are even some examples where all this stuff goes into the last
level 1 heading, which is marked as COMMENT.

Or you can send the whole preamble to an external file and just add a
reference with #+SETUPFILE

http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html#Export-options

Regards,
.j.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 05:19:14PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
>    Is it possible to "fold" the preamble (#+latex_header, #+options, etc.)
>    under a first header? Mine get rather long, especially for Beamer
>    documents.
>
>    I just attempted it and it appears to work, but I wanted to know if
>    anyone else has tried this and succeeded or if there are any things to
>    watch out for.

* Re: Fold "preamble/options" under first header
@ 2010-09-30  8:53 ` Dan Davison
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-09-30  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to "fold" the preamble (#+latex_header, #+options, etc.)
> under a first header? Mine get rather long, especially for Beamer documents.
>
> I just attempted it and it appears to work, but I wanted to know if anyone
> else has tried this and succeeded or if there are any things to watch out
> for.

Hi John,

I do this rotutinely without problems. I put all my #+ lines under a
heading named something like "Org config" and tagged with :noexport:. I
put it at the end of the file, where it is out of the way.

In fact I will stick my neck out and suggest that that should be the
norm for Worg files; in my opinion it is very ugly to start off a file
with a mass of technical configuration lines starting #+. The title,
author and date should be there; not most of the other stuff. Org is
about focusing on content.

However,

> Currently I have:
>
> -------
> * Preamble                        :noexport:
> #+latex_class: beamer
> #+author: John Hendy
> #+date: \today
> #+startup: beamer
> #+latex_class_options: [presentation]
> #+beamer_frame_level: 2
> #+beamer_header_extra: \usetheme{default}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{xcolor}
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz,ifthen}
> #+latex_header: \usetikzlibrary{decorations,arrows,automata,positioning}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
> #+latex_header: \setstretch{1.3}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{MinionPro}
> #+latex_header: \renewcommand{\sfdefault{Myriad-LF}}
>
> \AtBeginSection[]{
> \begin{frame}<beamer>
> \frametitle{Outline}
> \tableofcontents[currentsection]
> \end{frame}}

I don't think that bit of LaTeX code is going to make it into your
exported output, because the heading is tagged :noexport:. The #+ lines
are fine though.

Dan

From: Dan Davison @ 2010-09-30  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to "fold" the preamble (#+latex_header, #+options, etc.)
> under a first header? Mine get rather long, especially for Beamer documents.
>
> I just attempted it and it appears to work, but I wanted to know if anyone
> else has tried this and succeeded or if there are any things to watch out
> for.

Hi John,

I do this rotutinely without problems. I put all my #+ lines under a
heading named something like "Org config" and tagged with :noexport:. I
put it at the end of the file, where it is out of the way.

In fact I will stick my neck out and suggest that that should be the
norm for Worg files; in my opinion it is very ugly to start off a file
with a mass of technical configuration lines starting #+. The title,
author and date should be there; not most of the other stuff. Org is
about focusing on content.

However,

> Currently I have:
>
> -------
> * Preamble                        :noexport:
> #+latex_class: beamer
> #+author: John Hendy
> #+date: \today
> #+startup: beamer
> #+latex_class_options: [presentation]
> #+beamer_frame_level: 2
> #+beamer_header_extra: \usetheme{default}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{xcolor}
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz,ifthen}
> #+latex_header: \usetikzlibrary{decorations,arrows,automata,positioning}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
> #+latex_header: \setstretch{1.3}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{MinionPro}
> #+latex_header: \renewcommand{\sfdefault{Myriad-LF}}
>
> \AtBeginSection[]{
> \begin{frame}<beamer>
> \frametitle{Outline}
> \tableofcontents[currentsection]
> \end{frame}}

I don't think that bit of LaTeX code is going to make it into your
exported output, because the heading is tagged :noexport:. The #+ lines
are fine though.

Dan

> #+title: Title
>
> * First actual heading...

* Re: Fold "preamble/options" under first header
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-30  8:54 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-09-30  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>

> Is it possible to "fold" the preamble (#+latex_header, #+options, etc.)
> under a first header? Mine get rather long, especially for Beamer documents.
>
> I just attempted it and it appears to work, but I wanted to know if anyone
> else has tried this and succeeded or if there are any things to watch out
> for.

Hi John,

I do this rotutinely without problems. I put all my #+ lines under a
heading named something like "Org config" and tagged with :noexport:. I
put it at the end of the file, where it is out of the way.

In fact I will stick my neck out and suggest that that should be the
norm for Worg files; in my opinion it is very ugly to start off a file
with a mass of technical configuration lines starting #+. The title,
author and date should be there; not most of the other stuff. Org is
about focusing on content.

However,

> Currently I have:
>
> -------
> * Preamble                        :noexport:
> #+latex_class: beamer
> #+author: John Hendy
> #+date: \today
> #+startup: beamer
> #+latex_class_options: [presentation]
> #+beamer_frame_level: 2
> #+beamer_header_extra: \usetheme{default}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{xcolor}
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{tikz,ifthen}
> #+latex_header: \usetikzlibrary{decorations,arrows,automata,positioning}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{setspace}
> #+latex_header: \setstretch{1.3}
>
> #+latex_header: \usepackage{MinionPro}
> #+latex_header: \renewcommand{\sfdefault{Myriad-LF}}
>
> \AtBeginSection[]{
> \begin{frame}<beamer>
> \frametitle{Outline}
> \tableofcontents[currentsection]
> \end{frame}}

I don't think that bit of LaTeX code is going to make it into your
exported output, because the heading is tagged :noexport:. The #+ lines
are fine though.

Dan

> #+title: Title
>
> * First actual heading...

* Re: Fold "preamble/options" under first header
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-30  8:54 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-09-30  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode