* Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-09 23:00 Dustin Hoffman
From: Dustin Hoffman @ 2010-10-09 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have scheduled reminders for things that occur weekly over a period
of months.  The problem is, that each of these scheduled items appears
under the current day in the agenda view and the multiplier (eg 6x,
5x) keeps going up.

What I want is each of these scheduled items to appear only on the
days that they occur in the agenda view.

Here is an example of an org file with a schedule in it.

 * Class Times
** Class
   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-28 Tue 12:30-13:48 +1w>
** Class
   SCHEDULED: <2010-09-23 Thu 12:30-13:48 +1w>

Her is an example of the agenda view for today that shows all of the tasks.

  647:        Sched. 6x:  Class
  760:        Sched. 6x:  Class
  755:        Sched. 6x:  Class
  788.12:     Sched. 5x:  Class
  886:        Sched. 5x:  Class
  647:        Sched. 4x:  Class
  760:        Sched. 4x:  Class
  755:        Sched. 4x:  Class
  788.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
  888.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
  647:        Sched. 2x:  Class
  760:        Sched. 2x:  Class
  755:        Sched. 2x:  Class

I have tried setting (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t) in my
.emacs file with no luck.  Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dustin

* Re: Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-10  0:16 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-10-10  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dustin Hoffman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dustin Hoffman <dustinhhoffman@gmail.com> writes:

> I have scheduled reminders for things that occur weekly over a period
> of months.  The problem is, that each of these scheduled items appears
> under the current day in the agenda view and the multiplier (eg 6x,
> 5x) keeps going up.
>
> What I want is each of these scheduled items to appear only on the
> days that they occur in the agenda view.
>
> Here is an example of an org file with a schedule in it.
>
>  * Class Times
> ** Class
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-28 Tue 12:30-13:48 +1w>
> ** Class
>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-23 Thu 12:30-13:48 +1w>
>

> Her is an example of the agenda view for today that shows all of the tasks.
>
>   647:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>   760:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>   755:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>   788.12:     Sched. 5x:  Class
>   886:        Sched. 5x:  Class
>   647:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>   760:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>   755:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>   788.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>   888.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>   647:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>   760:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>   755:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>
> I have tried setting (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t) in my
> .emacs file with no luck.  Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dustin

Hi Dustin,

Just remove the SCHEDULED: from the task and it should do what you want.

SCHEDULED: tends to be more for TODO action items.

-Bernt

* Re: Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-10  0:45   ` Dustin Hoffman
From: Dustin Hoffman @ 2010-10-10  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That worked perfect!

Thanks for the help,

Dustin

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Dustin Hoffman <dustinhhoffman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have scheduled reminders for things that occur weekly over a period
>> of months.  The problem is, that each of these scheduled items appears
>> under the current day in the agenda view and the multiplier (eg 6x,
>> 5x) keeps going up.
>>
>> What I want is each of these scheduled items to appear only on the
>> days that they occur in the agenda view.
>>
>> Here is an example of an org file with a schedule in it.
>>
>>  * Class Times
>> ** Class
>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-28 Tue 12:30-13:48 +1w>
>> ** Class
>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-23 Thu 12:30-13:48 +1w>
>>

>> Her is an example of the agenda view for today that shows all of the tasks.
>>
>>   647:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   788.12:     Sched. 5x:  Class
>>   886:        Sched. 5x:  Class
>>   647:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   788.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>>   888.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>>   647:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>
>> I have tried setting (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t) in my
>> .emacs file with no luck.  Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dustin

> Hi Dustin,
>
> Just remove the SCHEDULED: from the task and it should do what you want.
>
> SCHEDULED: tends to be more for TODO action items.
>
> -Bernt

* Re: Re: Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-10  4:33   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-10  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Dustin Hoffman, emacs-orgmode

I used scheduling to put all such items in my agenda, and I also
tagged them as todo's or appointments. I just mark them as done and
they're automatically rescheduled. No scheduler multiplier shows up as
long as I stay on top of marking the items as done.

I didn't realize notes with an active timestamp would be included in
the agenda. It makes sense, and nowhere in the manual mentioned a note
having to have a TODO keyword to show up... I just sort of imposed the
structure on my file.

I think I'll drop the TODO keywords from these sorts of items.

My question is, will headings with TODO keywords and an active
timestamp show up, even /without/ scheduling?

(And I realized I could easily answer my own question. Posting here
for posterity.)

The answer is yes. But if one is going to all the trouble of a TODO
keyword (which enables nifty features like logging, so I can tell when
a class was cancelled by using "DEFER" instead of "DONE"), one might
as well use scheduling, too. Only if you don't want to keep track of
marking items as done should one drop scheduling and keywords.

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Dustin Hoffman <dustinhhoffman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have scheduled reminders for things that occur weekly over a period
>> of months.  The problem is, that each of these scheduled items appears
>> under the current day in the agenda view and the multiplier (eg 6x,
>> 5x) keeps going up.
>>
>> What I want is each of these scheduled items to appear only on the
>> days that they occur in the agenda view.
>>
>> Here is an example of an org file with a schedule in it.
>>
>>  * Class Times
>> ** Class
>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-28 Tue 12:30-13:48 +1w>
>> ** Class
>>    SCHEDULED: <2010-09-23 Thu 12:30-13:48 +1w>
>>

>> Her is an example of the agenda view for today that shows all of the tasks.
>>
>>   647:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 6x:  Class
>>   788.12:     Sched. 5x:  Class
>>   886:        Sched. 5x:  Class
>>   647:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 4x:  Class
>>   788.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>>   888.12:     Sched. 3x:  Class
>>   647:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>   760:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>   755:        Sched. 2x:  Class
>>
>> I have tried setting (org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t) in my
>> .emacs file with no luck.  Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dustin

> Hi Dustin,
>
> Just remove the SCHEDULED: from the task and it should do what you want.
>
> SCHEDULED: tends to be more for TODO action items.
>
> -Bernt

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-10 12:36     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-10-10 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Dustin Hoffman, emacs-orgmode

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> I used scheduling to put all such items in my agenda, and I also
> tagged them as todo's or appointments. I just mark them as done and
> they're automatically rescheduled. No scheduler multiplier shows up as
> long as I stay on top of marking the items as done.
>
> I didn't realize notes with an active timestamp would be included in
> the agenda. It makes sense, and nowhere in the manual mentioned a note
> having to have a TODO keyword to show up... I just sort of imposed the
> structure on my file.
>
> I think I'll drop the TODO keywords from these sorts of items.
>
> My question is, will headings with TODO keywords and an active
> timestamp show up, even /without/ scheduling?

Yes (as you have noted). Anything with an active timestamp (SCHEDULED,
DEADLINE, and appointments) will show up in the agenda. Each type,
however, has a different behavior. There is an FAQ on this:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp

Best,
Matt

@ 2010-10-14 11:27       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-10-14 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Matt,

Matt Lundin wrote:
> Yes (as you have noted). Anything with an active timestamp (SCHEDULED,
> DEADLINE, and appointments) will show up in the agenda. Each type,
> however, has a different behavior. There is an FAQ on this:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-timestamp

I don't who's the author of it, but -- maybe since the new lists --, the
structure is wrong in that section: all 3 "items" are numbered 1, instead of
the sequence 1 2 3.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Recurring scheduled items appearing in schedule
@ 2010-10-14 11:39         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Lundin wrote:
>> Yes (as you have noted). Anything with an active timestamp
>> (SCHEDULED,
>> DEADLINE, and appointments) will show up in the agenda. Each type,
>> however, has a different behavior. There is an FAQ on this:
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#scheduled-vs-deadline-vs-
>> timestamp
>
> I don't who's the author of it, but -- maybe since the new lists --,
> the
> structure is wrong in that section: all 3 "items" are numbered 1,
> instead of
> the sequence 1 2 3.

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten