* Agenda and one-line diary display
@ 2011-01-15 14:23 Rasmus Pank Roulund
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2011-01-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have finally found a tolerable solution to include Google calendars
into Emacs and thus Org using "emacs-google"[1].

However, one thing is bothering me about the way Org agenda view handles
my newly populated diary file. It shows too much information! Basically,
I want /one line per entry/. If I want more info I'll just hit the
entry. The reason is that I will often include a lot of extra
information for each calendar/diary entry. When needed, I will fetch it
but it usually preclude the overview that I wish to obtain in the agenda
view.

Here is a simple agenda example:

,----
|   Diary:      Semester start
|   Diary:      Location: Lund University
|   Diary:      Status: CONFIRMED		(UID: 5g7mb67iupjvf75cdorlr1bs2s@google.com)
`----

And the corresponding diary code:

,----
| %%(and (diary-block 1 17 2011 1 17 2011)) Semester start
|    Location: Lund University
`----

What I want to agenda view to show is merely:

,----
|   Diary:      Semester start
`----

Or, even better:

,----
|   Diary:      Semester start (Lund University)
`----

I.e. no other information than the event and if possible the
location. If time is available this should also be displayed, but all in
one line.

Is this possible in one way or the other? If so I'd appreciate any hints
on getting there.

Thanks a bunch,
Rasmus

Footnotes:
[1]    http://code.google.com/p/emacs-google/wiki/googlecalendar

* Re: Agenda and one-line diary display
@ 2011-02-11 14:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Pank Roulund; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

Rasmus Pank Roulund <rasmus.pank@gmail.com> writes:

> I have finally found a tolerable solution to include Google calendars
> into Emacs and thus Org using "emacs-google"[1].
>
> However, one thing is bothering me about the way Org agenda view handles
> my newly populated diary file. It shows too much information! Basically,
> I want /one line per entry/. If I want more info I'll just hit the
> entry. The reason is that I will often include a lot of extra
> information for each calendar/diary entry. When needed, I will fetch it
> but it usually preclude the overview that I wish to obtain in the agenda
> view.
>
> Here is a simple agenda example:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start
> |   Diary:      Location: Lund University
> |   Diary:      Status: CONFIRMED		(UID: 5g7mb67iupjvf75cdorlr1bs2s@google.com)
> `----
>
> And the corresponding diary code:
>
> ,----
> | %%(and (diary-block 1 17 2011 1 17 2011)) Semester start
> |    Location: Lund University
> `----
>
> What I want to agenda view to show is merely:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start
> `----
>
> Or, even better:
>
> ,----
> |   Diary:      Semester start (Lund University)
> `----

We can hack around to display multilines diary entries on a single agenda
line but then this diary entry would not properly sneak into the agenda:

02/11/2011
  Bill B. visits Princeton today
  2pm Cognitive Studies Committee meeting
  2:30-5:30 Liz at Lawrenceville
  4:00pm Dentist appt
  7:30pm Dinner at George's
  8:00-10:00pm concert

I guess many people have such multilines entries.

So I'd say for now no, you cannot reduce your diary entry to just one
line.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Agenda and one-line diary display
@ 2011-02-11 15:56   ` Rasmus Pank Roulund
From: Rasmus Pank Roulund @ 2011-02-11 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bastien.guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for your reply.

> 02/11/2011
>    Bill B. visits Princeton today
>    2pm Cognitive Studies Committee meeting
Sounds interesting.
>    2:30-5:30 Liz at Lawrenceville
>    4:00pm Dentist appt
>    7:30pm Dinner at George's
>    8:00-10:00pm concert
Busy day :)

Here is an example of a diary going all wrong

,----

| Friday     11 February 2011
|                8:00...... ----------------
|               10:00...... ----------------
|               12:00...... ----------------
|               14:00...... ----------------
|   Diary:      14:00-15:30 Professor Jesper Jespersen – 40 års jubilæum
i statens tjeneste
|               16:00...... ----------------
|               18:00...... ----------------
|   Diary:      18:00-23:55 Fest
|               20:00...... ----------------
|   overview:   In   3 d.:  TODO
[[file:institutions/assignment2.tex][Assignment 2]]
|   overview:   In   7 d.:  TODO
[[file:growth/assignment1.tex][Assignment 1]]
n14pdnolar20orvikj8996i7ig@google.com)
|   Diary:      Desc: 1. Politisk økonomi - Fra ADAM til DREAM:  Jesper
Jespersen
|   Diary:      2. Politisk rådgivning:fhv. departementschef Jørgen Rosted
|   Diary:      3. Politisk praksis:fhv. økonomiminister Marianne Jelved, MF
|   Diary:      Location: Roskilde Universitet (RUC) hus 25.2
|   Diary:      Status: CONFIRMED		(UID:
sul5dt2e6kbnp9j3lk2vuaaup4@google.com)
`----

It is a bit of a SNAFU. Here is the diary

,----
| 2/11/2011 18:00-23:55 Fest
|    Location: Sabina
|
| [...] omitting 22 lines [...]
|
| 2/11/2011 14:00-15:30 Professor Jesper Jespersen – 40 års jubilæum i
statens tjeneste
|    Desc: 1. Politisk økonomi - Fra ADAM til DREAM:  Jesper Jespersen
|  2. Politisk rådgivning:fhv. departementschef Jørgen Rosted
|  3. Politisk praksis:fhv. økonomiminister Marianne Jelved, MF
|    Location: Roskilde Universitet (RUC) hus 25.2
`----

,----

| Friday     11 February 2011
|                8:00...... ----------------
|               10:00...... ----------------
|               12:00...... ----------------
|               14:00...... ----------------
|   Diary:      14:00-15:30 Professor Jesper Jespersen – 40 års jubilæum
i statens tjeneste
|               16:00...... ----------------
|               18:00...... ----------------
|   Diary:      18:00-23:55 Fest
|   overview:   In   3 d.:  TODO
[[file:institutions/assignment2.tex][Assignment 2]]
|   overview:   In   7 d.:  TODO
[[file:growth/assignment1.tex][Assignment 1]]
|   overview:   In   7 d.:  TODO [[file:labor/lab/lab1.Rnw][Lab1]]
`----

So what I'd want was just to display. If I'd want more info I'd just RET
the line.

The fuss might be caused by an auto-generated diary. I don't know.

> So I'd say for now no, you cannot reduce your diary entry to just one
> line.

Too bad.

Have a nice weekend.

—Rasmus

* Re: Agenda and one-line diary display
@ 2011-02-12 12:09     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-12 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus Pank Roulund; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rasmus,

Rasmus Pank Roulund <rasmus.pank@gmail.com> writes:

>> So I'd say for now no, you cannot reduce your diary entry to just one
>> line.
>
> Too bad.

I've now pushed a change that puts multiline diary entries on a single
line when it makes sense (i.e. when lines don't start with a diary time
specification.)

HTH,

--
 Bastien