* [babel] How to add results to text inline?
@ 2011-02-23  5:55 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-23  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi,

guess this is a FAQ or at least a stupid question.
However, I read along worg and wasn't able to find a solution.

I would like to add the result of a source code block in some text
paragraph.

---start--mini-example----

#+source:my_formula(my_parameter='1')
#+begin_src python :results value :exports code
y = 2
f = my_parameter * y
return f
#+end_src

In my long long paragraph after that I want to say that
my result is #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') for x=5 but it is
#+call: my_formula() for x=1

---end--mini-example----

Well I would replace the calls by the result of the source code block
I read about no-web but this seems to work only within code blocks. I
read about inline source code blocks, however, more complex functions
would make it difficult to read.

Thanks for pointing me to obvious solutions ;)

Torsten

CC. How about some C-like format string for number results like
#+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %i5
results in integer 5 digits
00010
and  #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %s.3
could result in scientific notation with 3 digits after the comma
1.000*10^1

This would allow to format the result to the needs just in place.

* Re: [babel] How to add results to text inline?
@ 2011-02-23  7:53 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2011-02-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Torsten,

Have a look at the 'src_<language>{<body>}' construct as described here:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-of-code-blocks

Hth,
Andreas

Am 23.02.2011 06:55, schrieb Torsten Wagner:
> Hi,
>
> guess this is a FAQ or at least a stupid question.
> However, I read along worg and wasn't able to find a solution.
>
> I would like to add the result of a source code block in some text
> paragraph.
>
> ---start--mini-example----
>
> #+source:my_formula(my_parameter='1')
> #+begin_src python :results value :exports code
> y = 2
> f = my_parameter * y
> return f
> #+end_src
>
> In my long long paragraph after that I want to say that
> my result is #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') for x=5 but it is
> #+call: my_formula() for x=1
>
> ---end--mini-example----
>
> Well I would replace the calls by the result of the source code block
> I read about no-web but this seems to work only within code blocks. I
> read about inline source code blocks, however, more complex functions
> would make it difficult to read.
>
> Thanks for pointing me to obvious solutions ;)
>
> Torsten
>
> CC. How about some C-like format string for number results like
> #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %i5
> results in integer 5 digits
> 00010
> and  #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %s.3
> could result in scientific notation with 3 digits after the comma
> 1.000*10^1
>
> This would allow to format the result to the needs just in place.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: [babel] How to add results to text inline?
@ 2011-02-23  8:14   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-02-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andreas,

thanks for pointing to that. I guess it is the same like on worg.
As far as I understood this would help me to add the python code inside
my paragraph which is indeed nice for small code-snippet. However, I
would like to replace the result of a function call via
#+call aka #+lob aka #+function.

I will try he src_python{print f} and use a session...

However, I thought there might be a 'easier' way ;)

Thanks

Torsten

@ 2011-02-23  8:34     ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2011-02-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sorry.  I should have read your message properly.

How about:
In my long long paragraph after that I want to say that
my result is  src_python[:noweb yes :results value raw replace :exports
results]{return <<my_formula(my_parameter='5')>>} for x=5.

Regards,
Andreas

Am 23.02.2011 09:14, schrieb Torsten Wagner:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> thanks for pointing to that. I guess it is the same like on worg.
> As far as I understood this would help me to add the python code
> inside my paragraph which is indeed nice for small code-snippet.
> However, I would like to replace the result of a function call via
> #+call aka #+lob aka #+function.
>
> I will try he src_python{print f} and use a session...
>
> However, I thought there might be a 'easier' way ;)
>
> Thanks
>
> Torsten
>

> On 02/23/2011 04:53 PM, Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Hi Torsten,
>>
>> Have a look at the 'src_<language>{<body>}' construct as described here:
>> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Structure-of-code-blocks
>>
>> Hth,
>> Andreas
>>

>> Am 23.02.2011 06:55, schrieb Torsten Wagner:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> guess this is a FAQ or at least a stupid question.
>>> However, I read along worg and wasn't able to find a solution.
>>>
>>> I would like to add the result of a source code block in some text
>>> paragraph.
>>>
>>> ---start--mini-example----
>>>
>>> #+source:my_formula(my_parameter='1')
>>> #+begin_src python :results value :exports code
>>> y = 2
>>> f = my_parameter * y
>>> return f
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> In my long long paragraph after that I want to say that
>>> my result is #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') for x=5 but it is
>>> #+call: my_formula() for x=1
>>>
>>> ---end--mini-example----
>>>
>>> Well I would replace the calls by the result of the source code block
>>> I read about no-web but this seems to work only within code blocks. I
>>> read about inline source code blocks, however, more complex functions
>>> would make it difficult to read.
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing me to obvious solutions ;)
>>>
>>> Torsten
>>>
>>> CC. How about some C-like format string for number results like
>>> #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %i5
>>> results in integer 5 digits
>>> 00010
>>> and  #+call: my_formula(my_parameter='5') :exports results :format %s.3
>>> could result in scientific notation with 3 digits after the comma
>>> 1.000*10^1
>>>
>>> This would allow to format the result to the needs just in place.

Andreas Leha

Universitätsmedizin Göttingen
Abteilung Medizinische Statistik
Humboldtallee 32
37073 Göttingen

Tel: +49 (0)551 39-10710
Fax: +49 (0)551 39-4995

http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha.html

University Medical Center Göttingen
Department for Medical Statistics
Humboldtallee 32
37073 Göttingen
Germany

Phone: +49 (0) 551 39-10710
Fax: +49 (0) 551 39-4995

http://www.ams.med.uni-goettingen.de/amsneu/leha-en.html

@ 2011-02-23 13:03       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-02-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Sorry.  I should have read your message properly.
>
> How about:
> In my long long paragraph after that I want to say that
> my result is  src_python[:noweb yes :results value raw replace :exports
> results]{return <<my_formula(my_parameter='5')>>} for x=5.

Also, src_sh[:var it=my_formula(my_parameter=5)]{echo $it} should work.

Best -- Eric