* point out extra export options in manual
@ 2011-03-04  8:36 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-03-04  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Whilst trying to figure out how to shut off the postamble in HTML
export, I realized that there are far more export-related options
available than those listed in section 12.2 (Export options) of the
manual. I had never really looked at the Publishing section of the
manual (13.1.5), because I've never wanted to publish whole projects.

If the list of LaTeX/HTML export options in the Publishing section is
the canonical full list, it would be nice to mention in section 12.2
that the options selectable through the #+OPTIONS syntax is only a
subset of the full list, and provide a pointer to the Publishing
section.

I can bang together a documentation patch for this, if desirable,
otherwise please let me know if I've missed some crucial part of the
documentation that would have made this clear.

Thanks,
Eric

PS: I've seen people provide links to Info pages directly in their
emails (presumably only any good if the recipient is using an
emacs-based mail client), how do you do that? Will a regular Org format
link come through correctly? Well, why don't I try…
[[info:org:Configuration][Publishing Configuration]]

* Re: point out extra export options in manual
@ 2011-03-04 15:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-03-04 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> Whilst trying to figure out how to shut off the postamble in HTML
> export, I realized that there are far more export-related options
> available than those listed in section 12.2 (Export options) of the
> manual. I had never really looked at the Publishing section of the
> manual (13.1.5), because I've never wanted to publish whole projects.

The "Export options" section says this:

  The default values for these and many other options are
  given by a set of variables.  For a list of such variables, the
  corresponding OPTIONS keys and also the publishing keys (*note Project
  alist::), see the constant `org-export-plist-vars'.

Did you check `org-export-plist-vars'?

> If the list of LaTeX/HTML export options in the Publishing section is
> the canonical full list, it would be nice to mention in section 12.2
> that the options selectable through the #+OPTIONS syntax is only a
> subset of the full list, and provide a pointer to the Publishing
> section.

Maybe we can make this clearer (patch welcome) but it is mentioned.

> I can bang together a documentation patch for this, if desirable,
> otherwise please let me know if I've missed some crucial part of the
> documentation that would have made this clear.

Please check the latest documentation update from git -- there is
certainly room for improvement, and I'd be glad to apply a patch.

On the overall, I think a Worg tutorial about publishing options (both
infile and in projects publishing settings) would be *very* nice.

Thanks for your help,

--
 Bastien

* Re: point out extra export options in manual
@ 2011-03-06  3:00   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-03-06  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 04 2011, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Eric,

>> Whilst trying to figure out how to shut off the postamble in HTML
>> export, I realized that there are far more export-related options
>> available than those listed in section 12.2 (Export options) of the
>> manual. I had never really looked at the Publishing section of the
>> manual (13.1.5), because I've never wanted to publish whole projects.
>
> The "Export options" section says this:
>
>   The default values for these and many other options are
>   given by a set of variables.  For a list of such variables, the
>   corresponding OPTIONS keys and also the publishing keys (*note Project
>   alist::), see the constant `org-export-plist-vars'.
>
> Did you check `org-export-plist-vars'?

[...]

> Please check the latest documentation update from git -- there is
> certainly room for improvement, and I'd be glad to apply a patch.

Gah, I haven't been doing "make info" as I've updated org from git. The
newest documentation is much clearer, thanks.

Eric