From: Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@syk.fi>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Sending commits to Org
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 20:58:14 +0300	[thread overview]

Philipp Kroos <Philipp.Kroos@t-online.de> writes:

> If you first create a branch on your side and switch to it before
> making changes, you can run format-patch against your local copy of
> master as well.

Or, if you are a git newbie like me, and fail to read the relevant part
of the org page on contributing, and make your changes in the original
master, you can also create patches from the original master branch
using the HEAD identifier. For example,

git format-patch HEAD~1

gives you a patch of the last commita. If, after having made your changes
in the master branch, a pull has resulted in newer changes, you can
create more patches by increasing the "argument" to head. For example,
currently I need to run

git format-patch HEAD~3

to re-create a patch of my own, local changes. I hope (?) this patch is
as good as one that would be created by having my own branch.

Sorry if the terminology is a bit mixed, but as I said, I am a git
newbie. (As a long-time CVS user I would need to reserve some time to
study the manual...)

--
Jarmo