* ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22  8:55 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-02-22  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Coming upon this tutorial, which seems excellent for beginners

http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/FIXME/ob-doc-R-extended.org

maybe move from FIXME into common place?

Andreas

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 12:18 ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-02-22 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM, Andreas Röhler
<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> Coming upon this tutorial, which seems excellent for beginners
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/FIXME/ob-doc-R-extended.org
>
> maybe move from FIXME into common place?
>
> Andreas

Yes, I agree, that's an excellent one, and a person can find another
version of it here:

https://github.com/erikriverson/org-mode-R-tutorial

Coincidentally, just last week I was working on this (fixing broken
links, etc) mostly with an eye to update with recent developments and
make compatible with the new exporter.  I contacted the original
author a couple days ago to see if he would like to incorporate those
updates, but I haven't heard back from him.

Unfortunately my updated draft is on my computer at home so I would
have to wait until later this evening before I could share the
updates.  (If there's interest, of course.)

Regards,
Jay

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 13:30 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Coming upon this tutorial, which seems excellent for beginners
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/FIXME/ob-doc-R-extended.org
>
> maybe move from FIXME into common place?

It was moved to FIXME because Org could not export it correctly.

Can you test whether the current maint branch is able to export
it now?  If so, it's safe to move it back to its original place.

 Bastien

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 13:31   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-22 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jay,

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> Unfortunately my updated draft is on my computer at home so I would
> have to wait until later this evening before I could share the
> updates.  (If there's interest, of course.)

There is an interest, no doubt!

Please see my message to Andreas: we first need to make sure that the
maint branch of Org can export it correctly.  Then any update on the
file is welcome -- Worg is open, just send me your public key and I'll
give you write access to Worg.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* BUG, Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 13:37   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-02-22 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 22.02.2013 14:30, schrieb Bastien:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
>> Coming upon this tutorial, which seems excellent for beginners
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/sources/FIXME/ob-doc-R-extended.org
>>
>> maybe move from FIXME into common place?
>
> It was moved to FIXME because Org could not export it correctly.
>
> Can you test whether the current maint branch is able to export
> it now?  If so, it's safe to move it back to its original place.
>
> Thanks,

Okay

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 21:41     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-02-22 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jay Kerns

Am 22.02.2013 14:31, schrieb Bastien:
> Hi Jay,
>
> Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Unfortunately my updated draft is on my computer at home so I would
>> have to wait until later this evening before I could share the
>> updates.  (If there's interest, of course.)
>
> There is an interest, no doubt!
>
> Please see my message to Andreas: we first need to make sure that the
> maint branch of Org can export it correctly.  Then any update on the
> file is welcome -- Worg is open, just send me your public key and I'll
> give you write access to Worg.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Bastien,

IMHO it would be great if Jay moves it already at place. As it's a doku basically, giving a nice entry into
a lot of things. If exporting is not perfect yet, it's not at the core here, we may fix it step by step.
Also we might gather bug-reports that way.

Agreed? Maybe I'm mistaking something...
Cheers,

Andreas

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 21:58       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-02-22 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Röhler writes:
> IMHO it would be great if Jay moves it already at place. As it's a
> doku basically, giving a nice entry into a lot of things. If exporting
> is not perfect yet, it's not at the core here, we may fix it step by
> step.  Also we might gather bug-reports that way.

The thing with Worg is that it is auto-published to HTML whenever a
change is pushed, so if something doesn't export cleanly, it will break
all of Worg.  So, if the document does in fact export without error to
HTML with the latest maint version of Org it could be moved, otherwise
not.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-22 22:04         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-02-22 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 22.02.2013 22:58, schrieb Achim Gratz:
> Andreas Röhler writes:
>> IMHO it would be great if Jay moves it already at place. As it's a
>> doku basically, giving a nice entry into a lot of things. If exporting
>> is not perfect yet, it's not at the core here, we may fix it step by
>> step.  Also we might gather bug-reports that way.
>
> The thing with Worg is that it is auto-published to HTML whenever a
> change is pushed, so if something doesn't export cleanly, it will break
> all of Worg.  So, if the document does in fact export without error to
> HTML with the latest maint version of Org it could be moved, otherwise
> not.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Ahh, thanks for the explanation,

Andreas

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-23  1:49           ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-02-23  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Andreas Röhler
<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> Am 22.02.2013 22:58, schrieb Achim Gratz:
>
>> Andreas Röhler writes:
>>>
>>> IMHO it would be great if Jay moves it already at place. As it's a
>>> doku basically, giving a nice entry into a lot of things. If exporting
>>> is not perfect yet, it's not at the core here, we may fix it step by
>>> step.  Also we might gather bug-reports that way.
>>

>> The thing with Worg is that it is auto-published to HTML whenever a
>> change is pushed, so if something doesn't export cleanly, it will break
>> all of Worg.  So, if the document does in fact export without error to
>> HTML with the latest maint version of Org it could be moved, otherwise
>> not.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>>

> Ahh, thanks for the explanation,
>
> Andreas

Hmm... thanks for the heads-up, Achim.  I usually work on the master
branch and I haven't actually checked that what I did is compatible
with the maint branch.  I will checkout the maint branch and make sure
everything exports smoothly.

--
Jay

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-23  2:48             ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-02-23  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm... thanks for the heads-up, Achim.  I usually work on the master
> branch and I haven't actually checked that what I did is compatible
> with the maint branch.  I will checkout the maint branch and make sure
> everything exports smoothly.
>
> --
> Jay

Alright, here goes: it looks like the maint branch does not yet
include the new exporter (ox-latex.el and such).  The whole point of
my working on this to begin with was to get something compatible with
the new exporter, so rather than go back all over again to make
something work with something that's set to be outdated in the coming
months (weeks?) anyway, I'd rather sit tight on the work done so far
and patiently look forward to the new exporter's merge from master to
maint.

In the meantime, the latest updated draft (little more than some
tweaks of Erik Iverson's original work) is here:

https://github.com/gjkerns/org-mode-R-tutorial

I've confirmed just now that it successfully exports to PDF/HTML under
the new exporter based on a freshly pulled org from git mere minutes
ago.  There's still work to be done, and I welcome
suggestions/corrections in the balance of time between now and when
some rendition of this can safely land on Worg.

Regards,
Jay

* Re: ob-doc-R-extended.org
@ 2013-02-23  8:05               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-02-23  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Kerns; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Jay,

Jay Kerns <gjkernsysu@gmail.com> writes:

> Alright, here goes: it looks like the maint branch does not yet
> include the new exporter (ox-latex.el and such).

Indeed.

> The whole point of
> my working on this to begin with was to get something compatible with
> the new exporter, so rather than go back all over again to make
> something work with something that's set to be outdated in the coming
> months (weeks?) anyway, I'd rather sit tight on the work done so far
> and patiently look forward to the new exporter's merge from master to
> maint.

This should happen before the end of March.

> In the meantime, the latest updated draft (little more than some
> tweaks of Erik Iverson's original work) is here:
>
> https://github.com/gjkerns/org-mode-R-tutorial

Thanks -- another issue for Worg (on top of the maint/master issue)
is that allowing evaluation of code blocks, R code blocks included,
is not permitted.  So the document can exhibit those R blocks, but
the resulting .png should be produced outside Worg and included
there as pictures.

> I've confirmed just now that it successfully exports to PDF/HTML under
> the new exporter based on a freshly pulled org from git mere minutes
> ago.  There's still work to be done, and I welcome
> suggestions/corrections in the balance of time between now and when
> some rendition of this can safely land on Worg.

I'm offline right now and can't test.  I hope someone else on the list
can help with this.

 Bastien