* org-contact Documentation
@ 2014-05-23 13:17 Esben Stien
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-05-23 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think org-contact looks really interesting, but I find very little
documentation about it.

I find it very interesting to distribute contacts all over my files,
instead of having a single file for them. They end up somehow where they
are supposed to be;).

Is there any documentation that describes which fields are
available to somehow replace bbdb? Are there any mappings between them?
A list of standard fields? A way of using groups?

Sync'ing with ldap would also be great, but I guess that's a bit premature.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: org-contact Documentation
@ 2014-05-23 13:25 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-23 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Esben,

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> Is there any documentation that describes which fields are
> available to somehow replace bbdb? Are there any mappings between them?
> A list of standard fields? A way of using groups?

I'm not aware of anything besides the comment header of
org-contacts.el but feel free to start adding documentation on Worg.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-contact Documentation
@ 2014-05-24 11:11 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-05-24 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

On Fri, 23 May 2014 15:17:04 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:

> Sync'ing with ldap would also be great, but I guess that's a bit
> premature.

Well, if org-contacts becomes based in vCard, as i'd like, i guess it
might be possible to use LDAP vCard services ....

Alexis.

* Re: org-contact Documentation
@ 2014-05-24 12:55 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-24 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-23 15:17 Esben Stien wrote:
> I find it very interesting to distribute contacts all over my files,
> instead of having a single file for them. They end up somehow where they
> are supposed to be;).

This should not be a problem.  You define what makes a headline a
contact for you by specifying `org-contacts-matcher'.  And
`org-contacts-files' is a list of file names you want org-contacts to
consider whilst looking for contacts.

[...]

> A way of using groups?

I never used BBDB, so I am not sure what you mean by "groups".
Org-contacs has a notion of groups in a sense that you can tag your
contact headlines and every headline with the same tag is considered to
be in the same group.  This can be used when you are composing a mail to
many people, as you can do this by simply stating the relevant tag name.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier