* Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-14  8:32 Ivan Kanis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2014-06-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnus General, org mode

Hi,

I would like to capture outgoing e-mail in my org file.

I use the gcc mechanism in gnus with a nnml backend.

I think I have read on the org mailing list that someone has implemented
that feature. I did a search but could not find the article.

I tried implementing it myself. I had a look at the function
gnus-inews-do-gcc. It has the group and the article number. However org
link expect the Message-ID header. How do I get it?

Thanks,

Ivan
--
Software uses US measurements, but the OS is in metric...
    -- BOFH excuse #24

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-14  9:05 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-06-14  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: org mode, Gnus General

Hi Ivan,

this is what I use :

;; Hack to store Org links upon sending Gnus messages

(defun bzg-message-send-and-org-gnus-store-link (&optional arg)
  "Send message with `message-send-and-exit' and store org link to message copy.
If multiple groups appear in the Gcc header, the link refers to
the copy in the last group."
  (interactive "P")
    (save-excursion
      (save-restriction
        (message-narrow-to-headers)
        (let ((gcc (car (last
                         (message-unquote-tokens
                          (message-tokenize-header
                           (mail-fetch-field "gcc" nil t) " ,")))))
              (buf (current-buffer))
              (message-kill-buffer-on-exit nil)
              id to from subject desc link newsgroup xarchive)
        (message-send-and-exit arg)
        (or
         ;; gcc group found ...
         (and gcc
              (save-current-buffer
                (progn (set-buffer buf)
                       (setq id (org-remove-angle-brackets
                                 (mail-fetch-field "Message-ID")))
                       (setq to (mail-fetch-field "To"))
                       (setq from (mail-fetch-field "From"))
                       (setq subject (mail-fetch-field "Subject"))))
              (org-store-link-props :type "gnus" :from from :subject subject
                                    :message-id id :group gcc :to to)
              (setq desc (org-email-link-description))
              (setq link (org-gnus-article-link
                          gcc newsgroup id xarchive))
              (setq org-stored-links
                    (cons (list link desc) org-stored-links)))
         ;; no gcc group found ...
         (message "Can not create Org link: No Gcc header found."))))))

(define-key message-mode-map [(control c) (control meta c)]
  'bzg-message-send-and-org-gnus-store-link)

Then, in a message, I use C-c C-M-c instead of C-c C-c to send the
message and create a link to it that I can reinsert later one.  This
is not really capturing, but it's good enough for my needs.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-14 10:06 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-14 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: ding

Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to capture outgoing e-mail in my org file.
>
> I use the gcc mechanism in gnus with a nnml backend.
>
> I think I have read on the org mailing list that someone has implemented
> that feature. I did a search but could not find the article.
>
> I tried implementing it myself. I had a look at the function
> gnus-inews-do-gcc. It has the group and the article number. However org
> link expect the Message-ID header. How do I get it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ivan

Hi Ivan,

That's something that Gnorb[1] can do. Make a capture template that
you want to use for outgoing mail TODOs, and identify it:

(setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key "O")

Then, while you're composing the email, call
`gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo' in the message buffer, which I have bound
to "C-c t".

You can also call it *after* sending the message, if you forgot, and it
will initiate the same process from the last sent message.

It works best when you're using Gcc, as that means Org is able to make a
real link to the sent message. Gnorb will try to fake it, if you're not.

If you set (setq gnorb-gnus-hint-relevant-article t), Gnorb will even
notify you when you get a reply to your sent message.

It's early days for Gnorb, but this part of it works well for me. I'd
love a little more road-testing, if you're interested!

I'm going to stick it in ELPA in a month or so, but for now:

[1]: https://github.com/girzel/gnorb

Hope it helps!

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-14 14:43 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2014-06-14 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eric, emacs-orgmode

I love it
Thanks
Cheers,
Sent from my iPhone
** May contain typos**

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-16  2:08   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-06-16  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> [1]: https://github.com/girzel/gnorb

"Some way to create a TODO for an outgoing mail, saying 'this mail needs
a response, check in N days to see if we’ve got one.'"

That's really cool and I've been looking for ages for something like that;)

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-06-16 13:29     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-16 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

>> [1]: https://github.com/girzel/gnorb
>
> "Some way to create a TODO for an outgoing mail, saying 'this mail needs
> a response, check in N days to see if we’ve got one.'"
>
> That's really cool and I've been looking for ages for something like that;)

Give it a shot! gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo, and then schedule the
resulting capture heading.

Hope it works for you,

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-09-24 21:04 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-09-24 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 10:32:49 +0200 Ivan Kanis <ivan@kanis.fr> wrote:

IK> I would like to capture outgoing e-mail in my org file.

IK> I use the gcc mechanism in gnus with a nnml backend.

IK> I think I have read on the org mailing list that someone has implemented
IK> that feature. I did a search but could not find the article.

IK> I tried implementing it myself. I had a look at the function
IK> gnus-inews-do-gcc. It has the group and the article number. However org
IK> link expect the Message-ID header. How do I get it?

Well, I use the following to maintain a diary file. It's probably
equally easy to use a Org file:

(defun message-to-diary ()
  (make-diary-entry (concat
                     (format-time-string "%B %d, %Y %H:%M" (gnus-date-get-time (message-fetch-field "date")))
                     (if (message-fetch-field "newsgroups")
                         (concat " Sent news To: " (message-fetch-field "newsgroups"))
                       (concat " Sent mail To: " (message-fetch-field "to")))
                     " Subject: \"" (message-fetch-field "subject") "\""
  (save-buffer "diary"))

(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'message-to-diary)

HTH
Ted

* Re: Capturing outgoing gnus e-mail
@ 2014-12-14 22:58   ` Uwe Brauer