* [org-drill] understand description-lists
@ 2014-11-25 11:29 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-11-25 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I would like to use org-drill to train my Spanish vocabulary.  However,
it's essential that I can also export my file for "offline-review".  I
don't want to maintain two files.  I like to organize my file like this:

*** Days
- lunes     :: Monday
- martes    :: Tuesday
- miércoles :: Wednesday
- jueves    :: Thursday
- viernes   :: Friday
- sábado    :: Saturday
- domingo   :: Sunday

Is it possible to have org-drill realize that each side of the
description item is a side of a card, and that the closest headline is a
topic?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!

* Re: [org-drill] understand description-lists
@ 2014-11-25 14:06 ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2014-11-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use org-drill to train my Spanish vocabulary.  However,
> it's essential that I can also export my file for "offline-review".  I
> don't want to maintain two files.  I like to organize my file like this:
>
> *** Days
> - lunes     :: Monday
> - martes    :: Tuesday
> - miércoles :: Wednesday
> - jueves    :: Thursday
> - viernes   :: Friday
> - sábado    :: Saturday
> - domingo   :: Sunday
>
> Is it possible to have org-drill realize that each side of the
> description item is a side of a card, and that the closest headline is a
> topic?

org-drill sets properties on each drill headline, to keep track of
your progress while learning that item.  So, I'm not sure it would be
easy to do without maintaining two files.

One idea could be to have a function that creates (and updates/merges)
an org-drill file from the normal file that you use for export.
org-drill ships with functions [1] for merging two drill
files/buffers.

Paul, the author of org-drill, may have better ideas, though.

[1] - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-drill.html#sec-11

--
Puneeth

* Re: [org-drill] understand description-lists
@ 2014-11-25 14:37   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-11-25 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: punchagan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Puneeth,

Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>> I would like to use org-drill to train my Spanish vocabulary.  However,
>> it's essential that I can also export my file for "offline-review".  I
>> don't want to maintain two files.  I like to organize my file like this:
>>
>> *** Days
>> - lunes     :: Monday
>> - martes    :: Tuesday
>> - miércoles :: Wednesday
>> - jueves    :: Thursday
>> - viernes   :: Friday
>> - sábado    :: Saturday
>> - domingo   :: Sunday
>>
>> Is it possible to have org-drill realize that each side of the
>> description item is a side of a card, and that the closest headline is a
>> topic?
>
> org-drill sets properties on each drill headline, to keep track of
> your progress while learning that item.  So, I'm not sure it would be
> easy to do without maintaining two files.

I see.

> One idea could be to have a function that creates (and updates/merges)
> an org-drill file from the normal file that you use for export.
> org-drill ships with functions [1] for merging two drill
> files/buffers.

So, I see three approaches: (i) write an exporter, but this seems like
an overkill, or (ii) store the drill data separately; (iii) store data
in headlines for items.

I don't know how feasible this is as I'm not familiar with the
org-drill.el.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--