* Preventing noweb substitution during export
@ 2017-12-27 22:08 Samuel W. Flint
From: Samuel W. Flint @ 2017-12-27 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

I used to be able to prevent noweb substitution during export by setting
noweb to tangle, now it's only a yes/no option.  When was this feature
removed, and what can I do to get it back?

Thanks,

Sam

--
Samuel W. Flint
4096R/266596F4

* Re: Preventing noweb substitution during export
@ 2017-12-27 22:29 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-27 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel W. Flint; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hello,

swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:

> I used to be able to prevent noweb substitution during export by setting
> noweb to tangle, now it's only a yes/no option.  When was this feature
> removed, and what can I do to get it back?

I don't think that was intended. Would you have an ECM demonstrating the
issue?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Preventing noweb substitution during export
@ 2017-12-27 22:50   ` Samuel W. Flint
From: Samuel W. Flint @ 2017-12-27 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-Mode

Nicolas, my apologies for sending this twice.

    NG> Hello, swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:

    >> I used to be able to prevent noweb substitution during export by
    >> setting noweb to tangle, now it's only a yes/no option.  When was
    >> this feature removed, and what can I do to get it back?

    NG> I don't think that was intended. Would you have an ECM
    NG> demonstrating the issue?

It didn't get removed, though no-export is now the correct value.
Neither, however, are currently documented in the manual.

    NG> Regards,

    NG> -- Nicolas Goaziou

And the following should demonstrate how they currently behave:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
#+PROPERTY: :noweb tangle

#+name: a
#+begin_src python
  def foo():
      print "foo"
#+end_src

#+name: b
#+begin_src python

  <<a>>

  foo()
#+end_src

#+name: c
#+begin_src python :tangle "test.py"

  import bar
  <<b>>
#+end_src
#+END_EXAMPLE

The file 'test.py' will contain:

    import bar
    <<a>>

    foo()

If noweb is set to no-export, the <<a>> will be resolved.  However, with
tangle, the block is included during export.

HTH,

Sam

--

@ 2017-12-28 11:42     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel W. Flint; +Cc: Org-Mode

Hello,

swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:

> Nicolas, my apologies for sending this twice.
>
>     NG> Hello, swflint@flintfam.org (Samuel W. Flint) writes:
>
>     >> I used to be able to prevent noweb substitution during export by
>     >> setting noweb to tangle, now it's only a yes/no option.  When was
>     >> this feature removed, and what can I do to get it back?
>
>     NG> I don't think that was intended. Would you have an ECM
>     NG> demonstrating the issue?
>
> It didn't get removed, though no-export is now the correct value.
> Neither, however, are currently documented in the manual.

Patches welcome! Org manual is now an Org file, it should be much more
pleasant to edit. :)

> And the following should demonstrate how they currently behave:
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> #+PROPERTY: :noweb tangle

This should be:

  #+property: header-args :noweb tangle

> #+name: a
> #+begin_src python
>   def foo():
>       print "foo"
> #+end_src
>
> #+name: b
> #+begin_src python
>

>   <<a>>
>
>   foo() #+end_src
>
> #+name: c
> #+begin_src python :tangle "test.py"
>
>   import bar
>   <<b>>
> #+end_src
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> The file 'test.py' will contain:
>
>     import bar
>     <<a>>
>
>     foo()
>
> If noweb is set to no-export, the <<a>> will be resolved.  However, with
> tangle, the block is included during export.

I cannot reproduce it. The following document:

#+PROPERTY: header-args :noweb tangle

#+name: a
#+begin_src python
  def foo():
      print "foo"
#+end_src

#+name: b
#+begin_src python

  <<a>>

  foo()
 #+end_src

#+name: c
#+begin_src python :tangle "test.py"

  import bar
  <<b>>
#+end_src

becomes

┌────
│ def foo():
│     print "foo"
└────

┌────
│
│
│ <<a>>
│
│ foo()
└────

┌────
│
│ import bar
│ <<b>>
└────

when exported to UTF-8.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Preventing noweb substitution during export
@ 2017-12-28 18:30       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2017-12-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-Mode, Samuel W. Flint

> Patches welcome! Org manual is now an Org file, it should be
> much more
> pleasant to edit. :)

Good news. When will the switch from doc/org.texi to
contrib/manual.org take place?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Preventing noweb substitution during export
@ 2017-12-28 21:50         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-12-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-Mode, Samuel W. Flint

Hello,

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Good news. When will the switch from doc/org.texi to
> contrib/manual.org take place?

I don't know. I was only anticipating the ineluctable ;)

Nicolas Goaziou